1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassyfras, Jun 30, 2001.

1. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi guys,

I have had several jobs recnetly that has involved weeding. Ussallly I trim the bushes, pull the weeds and then put mulch down from bags from Home Depot. Usally these jobs takes about 3 hours and I charge around $125(that includes mulch). Does this sound right. My expenses are the mulch that cost around $2 a bag and I buy about 20-30 bags and my hedge trimmer, that I bought with a friend to keep the cost down since we both won't use it that often, that cost around $140.

So my problem is, am I way off on bidding these jobs? I feel like Im charging a lot of money. I have very little travel time besides going to Home Depot. So, I end up keeping around $80 not including my expense for the hedge trimmer on this particular job. Thats about $26 an hour not icluding the drive to HD or the hedge trimmer. What do you guys think? Is this pulling weeds thing profitable? And does anyone pull weeds in peoples beds evertime they come for an additonal 5-10 dollars?
  2. grassyfras

One more thing, Should I just wait to do this stuff when I do cleanups?
  3. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

If the customer wants the beds to be free of weeds, then offer it as a weekly, semi-monthly service and charge for it. Don`t feel like you are charging too much for the job. If the customer is satisfied, and you did a quality job, charge em. I look at it this way, if I want to do more work, then i would get more mowing jobs,and can make a lot more, so whatever I do I do quality work and charge for this service.
  4. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

My bare min. for 30 bags of mulch installed & 3 hrs labor would be

$45 per hr X 3 hrs $135
    mulch No markup $60
    Total 195.00

But what I would probably charge

$45.00 per hr X 3 $135
    Mulch $4 per bag X 30 $120
    Total $255

Now I have never used bagged mulch but this would be my bid.

Also I would add in the time to go to Home Depot.

As far as the weeds, Nothing I hate more than pulling weeds! Its money though. Most of my customers have weeding in their contract. If its weedy before I mulch I knock them down with the trimmer, spray, and bury with mulch.
  5. grassyfras

That seem like alot. But you got to make a living I can't see people paying that much I guess thats why you give an estimate.
  6. i weed for a couple of customers. i do it on an every 3 weeks basis. we mulch the gardens once every other year or so. i get the brown mulch for 15 dollars a yard delivered and all. i charge 30 a yard. plus time and everything. as for weeding, i do it by the hour. i have 2 right next to eachother. we did one last week, and most of another one in a day, 2 guys. we did 1 garden today, 2 guys about 3 hrs. the garden is about 15 feet deep at the deepest part, by about 50 or so feet long, had to get out all the small stuff, there are just so many flowers that it is difficult. they dont want any form of roundup or pesticides there. they pay for the weeding no problem.
  7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

This lady I know called me up and wants me to weed around her house and in the flower beds. I believe that is all she wants done, no mulch, no nothing, just weeding. I do not mow her lawn and I don't really want to work for her unless I'm mowing her lawn. Maybe I'm picky but I don't maintain the account and if somebody notices me weeding it and notice what a bad job the current LCO is doing with her lawn, they might think it was me. I don't really know what to do, I want the lawn, but I'm not sure they'd switch LCO's.
    Grassyfras-Hey man, I think you're making a killing! I don't think anyone would pay me that much for a job like that, but you are including the materials. Still that's pretty good. Although for my large account that I mow, I figure I'm making $25 an hour there so it's not too shabby. Keep up the good work!
  8. scag- go for it. i do work at lots of places where i dont cut the grass. and if they do need somebody to cut the lawn somewhere down the road you will be there. and keep in mind, there is more to landscaping than just cutting grass, there is more to a landscape than just the lawn, its the trees, the gardens, the lawn, patios, everything.
  9. you got to get away from that WOW factor

your not charging enough

pulling weed by hand sucks trim spary and bury them saves time make you more $

when we do mulch we put down snapshot if we weed the beds too and spay round-up to weed them later somtime we putdow weed barier fabric

but every thing we do we charge for

as far as using bag mulch if that the only way you can get it OK but you can get it cheaper bulk from a nursery

this year I started charging for mulch this way

$32.00 per a yrd (my cost $8.25) delivered
    $45.00 per a man hr spreading

we used to chrge just by the yrd and got killed on some jobs with lots of hand spreading instead of dump and spread

you cost and charges in you area might be different but don't ever thing or show you cust the WOW when you give them a bid
    give them the price like you do it for that all the time

I think you could have made a nother $100 off the same job!
  10. grassyfras

Im going to start charging more, but are you guys keeping my age into consideration?