weeds

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Schrock Lawns, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Schrock Lawns

Schrock Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

i relly have no experience with weed controll
    i need to kill weeds AND KEEP them away without kiling plants what type should i use

***********I AM NOT LICENSED THIS IS FOR MY HOUSE ONLY************

2. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

With the exemption of a herbicide applicator's license you can use this homeowner product.

Preen!--Treats up to 800 sq.ft. if my memory serves me.

Comes in a yellow 5 lb. tub with a shake applicator built in to the container. Wear butyl rubber gloves and good mask before and while applying this stuff. The dust that comes off the stuff will make you cough.
    Pre weed the beds and start with a clean bed and apply this material according to label directions, water it in with 0.5 inches of slow water or rainfall.
    If you don't water it in within 3 days, you could have erratic results and weeds come back. The product tells you it will last up to 3 months but consider the temperatures and expect to reapply on 6-8 week intervals.

Lastly-----Read the entire label---their is an extensive list of plants you can spread it around.
    One other thing---As I have learned in the knife selling business check with your parents before you go and purchase this stuff.

3. Frank Fescue

Frank Fescue LawnSite Senior Member

It sounds like you know what you're doing, i'd just trust your instincts.

4. kirk1701

kirk1701 LawnSite Gold Member

Check your local Co-Op for something like Speed-Zone or 2,4-D and follow the label. First biggie, to avoid damaging surrounding plants and bushes, apply when there is little to no wind and use something for drift control, ask your co-op for something they have in stock for drift control.

Second, also at your co-op (too late this year) put down a pre-emergant like Barricade. This year you may have to do two apps of something like Dimension again, ask your co-op they have it.

5. jad004

jad004 LawnSite Senior Member

You can't buy speed zone or 2,4-D without a license. I totally agree with Think Green on this one. With no experience, Preen is your best option. Weed the beds first. If you start spraying chemical around the plants, you will kill them. Before I started the business, Preen and good mulching is what I used.

6. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Stop by Langley Air Force Base and ask for some jet fuel.

7. Schrock Lawns

Schrock Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

yea im going to get some tommrow:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

8. dgw

dgw LawnSite Bronze Member
    from OH

i can show you 5 websites right now you can buy either product on

or 10 products at walmart that contain 2,4-d

along with any JD store around my area

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Weed B Gone Max, repeat as needed. Chickweed, clover, Oxalis killer for the tough weeds. use the maximum allowed on the label and you will be using the same strength as us professionals.
    And you can get a good deal on Imprelis right now. See the discussion about Imprelis.

10. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I have to ask....and no, I'm not trying to be sarcastic. Honest question....

If the above is true, why do you use what you do?

Is it price?

Thanks.