weeds

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Schrock Lawns, Apr 24, 2011.

1. dgw

dgw LawnSite Bronze Member
    from OH

dont think he does

i think he just mentioned an easily accessible product for a 12 year old

2. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I didn't imply he did (use the ortho). I asked why he didn't (if it's the same strength professionals use).

I checked the concentrate. If I figure it correctly, it would cost over $1,200.00 to blanket app. an acre.

3. dgw

from OH

oops sorry man

but your right its about 1/5 the concentrate of a professional 3 way

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Professionals buy larger quantities and in more concentrated forms(to get a lower price per acre), but the products are very similar otherwise. Grub control, Roundup, Dimension and most crabgrass products are available to all. Professionals also buy a few products that are not available to homeowners, the main reason being the high price and the more difficult dosage calculations and equipment required. Some of these are available online, the great majority are not "restricted use" pesticides.
    Drive (quinclorac) is available online, but I think it is about $100 for an eight ounce jar. Likewise Quicksilver, likewise Sedgehammer. Most homeowners are not going to spend a hundred dollars for a product, while buying a hundred times more than they need. A few specialty products come in small packages or mixed with other weed products, quinclorac for instance.

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Yo Guys

Different States, Different Laws. In Texas 2,4-D is a restricted use Pesticide while in Florida any fool can spray it into water without a license

6. mike174

mike174 LawnSite Member

Exactly Ric...in NJ you can buy 2,4 D at any big box store. It's only a RUP in NJ when the concentration of 2,4 D is increased enough to blind you...hence the "Danger" label and instructions to use eye protection. Most people using big box RTU sprays are laying down more 2,4 D per 1000 than the pros.

7. dgw

from OH

i know, but there are websites that will send it anywhere

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

dgw

You forgot to add the word ANTHING as in ANYTHING ANYWHERE.

I wanted to open a DIY Pest control in our local flea market. But the Online seller were not only way low on price. Which people use for price comparision, not realizing they would pay a rediculess handling fee. They also were repackaging pesticide into smaller container illegally. One of the Big Illegals was Asulox for crab grass that only comes in 2.5 gallon jugs. On line you can buy it in Pints. Back when I had to take a cert class to even buy or use Termidor, you could buy it on line cheaper than I could from a legal supplier. Or course where they make their money is in the hidden Handling fee that only hits the screen after you give a Credit Card Number.