1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Weeds

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Fiziksgeek, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Fiziksgeek

Fiziksgeek LawnSite Member

#3, does this have a common name? I have some old memory of another name...and being told its edible? Maybe I was just a little kid eating grass..? haha

2. Fiziksgeek

Fiziksgeek LawnSite Member

You have a couple of noticible difference

2. Asiatic dayflower vs. Japanese Stilf Grass

I googled asiatic dayflower. I can see the similarities in the leaves, but I have never seen mine flower. Certainly int he middle of the yard where I mow, it gets cut too soon. Its invaded some planting beds too, where it can grow significantly before I get around to pulling it, and still havent noticed any flowers. Next time I am out there, I will be looking for them though.

5. Balck Medic vs. red/creeping wood sorrel.

The leave of the black medic don't loook very "heart" like to me. Nor have I come upon any pictures with color like what I see in my lawn.

3. noweedshere

noweedshere LawnSite Member

I too still eat oxalis to this day for the sour/bitter flavor. Then I kill the rest with triclopyr. I don't recall any other name for it though.
    As for the creeping woodsorrel pictures, search purple creeping woodsorrel and you should find plenty of options. Oxalis corniculata Vs. oxalis stricta(yellow).

4. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Did notice the leaf pattern after you mentioned it.

As for the Day Flower Versus Stilt grass, the leaf in your picture looks more like the day flower to me.

But, I'm not there to make an up close judgement on that one.

5. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic