1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Weedwacker direction?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bbailey, Aug 25, 2006.

1. bbailey

bbailey LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

My current Homelite trimmer spins clockwise and I have become so used to it I am finding it hard to change. It is great when you are trimming because it pulls the grass away from things. Thinking about getting a new trimmer and was wondering if anyone knew of a trimmer that spins clockwise. Seems like all the ones made now spin counter clockwise. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have an Echo with a broom attachment and a trimmer head and it also spins counterclockwise. Just cannot get used to it! Thanks in advance.
  2. parkeeee

parkeeee LawnSite Member

Only in Australia.

Actually, I've never paid attention to how trimmers spin. I will now though. Interesting.
  3. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

If you hold it left handed it kicks most of the clipping away.And walk to your left.
  4. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

Only the low end trimmers like Homelite and Poulan spin clockwise.

The reason......the don't have gear boxes
  5. subs1000w

subs1000w LawnSite Member

accually i have 2 homey straight shafts that have gear boxes and spin clockwise and thats the reason i still have them also they dont have clutches which is the other reason i like them i have set the idle up to where i hardly every have to give them gas and i can trim very fast with them without stress on my finger from holding the gas all the time

thats the only reason i cant justify buying a com trimmer besides that the homeys both still run fine and are supper easy and cheap to maintain
  6. bbailey

bbailey LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

I have had mine 10+ years and other than a spark plug every season I have needed to do nothing to it. The best $98. I ever spent!!!
  7. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Most generally straight shaft spin counterclockwise and the curved shaft types clockwise. There are some exceptions as noted in the post by Third Day.

Just to be certain I'd be sure of the particular one I was looking at by asking the dealer or salesman.

8. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

Homelite trimmers have small bearing in the bottom end like most curve shaft trimmers. They do not have actual gear boxes.

The newer Homelite trimmers are made in Korea (or somewhere over there where labor is 2 cents an hour) and are even bigger pieces of junk than before.
  9. mr mow

mr mow LawnSite Senior Member

but really whats up? wouldnt be easier if they("commercial") all went clockwise,since most of us are are right handed...why counter clckwse?
  10. RLW

RLW LawnSite Member

I have two stihl's. Both curve shafts,both spin clock wise.