WeedWacker Kills Tree?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pap4464, Oct 12, 2003.

1. pap4464

pap4464 LawnSite Member

Just wondering has anyone ever heard of killing a tree from excessive weedwacking. This particular customer that called has been with me two years and we cut twice a month. The tree company who will be replacing the tree stated the loss of bark could be the result of excessive weedwacking. The tree is 10'-12' tall and is rather mature. Anything is possible, but is this?
    Any feedback would be appreciated!

2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

The weed wacker will cause injury to the tree.......it's bark is like our skin......when the bark has been beaten off infection and disease can set up in the tree.........I advice anyone helping me never to hit the bark.
    That's a big no-no!

3. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Sure it's possible. Need to lower the RPM when near trees, bushes, etc. More than likely, it's from something else. But try telling that to the homeowner now that he's heard weedwhacking may be the culprit.

4. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Weed-eaters and lawn-mowers are the #1 killers of trees.

I heard of a guy who was weedeating in a new city park and killed around 100 newly planted trees because he was weedeating close to the bark.

The vascular bundles which supply the tree with water and nutrents (xylem & phloem) are located just beyond the outer bark. Its like cutting the throat when you use a weedeater too close.

5. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

The bark protects the tree from invasion by insects and disease. If the bark was damaged near the ground it is possible that the tree fell victim to insects/disease depending on what kind of tree it is. Ash trees ( if that is the type ) are particularly susceptable to insects and any bark damage to them can be fatal. Oaks, Maples and Conifers are much hardier and can survive even with heavy damage to the bark. However if you feel that your trimming was the cause I would make amends with the customer and pay for the replacement. JMO.

6. mottster

mottster LawnSite Member

Larger trees that have been around for several decades usually have fairly thick bark and is hard to damage them when you're just normally trimming. That doesn't mean you can go at it full throttle like it's a chunk of rebar. Sapplings and young trees take the biggest impact from doing that. We would rather have the customers complain that there's a little grass left then having them complain that their tree just died and we hae to replant it at n/c.

7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Yes its possible. We did it once ourselves. The customer was very nice though and didnt complain at all. Cant hit the bark, well not alot anyway.

8. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Most of the itme it dies due to the xylem canals(i believe thats the right one) gets cut which carries the sugars made in the leaves down to the roots for feeding. When the roots did not get the sugars it usually dies.

9. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

it has a name, isn't it called "girdling"? I have seen it on an account that we just acquired this year - due to careless lco in the past.

10. We do 4 U

We do 4 U LawnSite Member

I have seen it, around here it is called trimmer blight.