Weedwacker on mower decks?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by benabarlow, Aug 11, 2006.

1. benabarlow

benabarlow LawnSite Member

Is ther such a thing and where do i find it?
  2. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

Why does everyone think that a weed whip on the side of a mower deck would be the best thing since sliced bread????

They do make these stupid contraptions. Do a search on LAWNSITE and see what you come up with. I know they have been discussed on here b4.
  3. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

When Im cutting Bahia grass...I invent one in my head...everytime!
  4. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

The county uses a big disk as a edger. It attatched to what seems to be an older Hustler. The ones that were built like tanks. I think you'd spend way too much time trying to trim the right way with a trimmer attatched to a mower. Example: you'd miss someting and you'd have to keep going back. Be a waste to me.
  5. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

4M Inc makes one. Do a search for 4 m inc string trimmer attach. Here is a phone # for the demo tape 336-623-8264 Looks like it would work if you have a lot of flat trimming to do.
  6. benabarlow

If you had one that was vertical on the mower deck you can easily do sidewalk edges, curb side and edge beds everytime you mow. The only way to make things more efficent is to take a process out of the job. Doing two things at once. I can see going around trees and things similar to that don't make much sence. Anyway thanks for your reply!!
  7. benabarlow

You have a valid point! I totally agree with you for some of the weed wackin. In this business your lookin for every second. If you can save 5 min per lawn, and you do 8 in a day thats a whole 45 min extra time bro. another couple of lawns in your pocket.
  8. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

I know someone who had the 4M. He thought it would be great for a row of fence posts. It only worked on super flat lawns and it bogged down to the point of stopping when it did make contact with the grass. He got rid of it and went back to manual trimming.
  9. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

A vertical edger mounted on the side of a wb or Z's deck would require precise maneuvering during the entire length of the bed, drive or walk...
    I don't see it working well and would be very slow-going... a stick edger would run circles around it.

If it were to work, it would need something like a 6-8" disk-type of guide that dropped into the edge just ahead of the cutter, then you'd just have to keep the disk pressed against the edge... regardless, It'd still be clumsy and make a big nasty chewed-up mess if you went left more than a hair.
    There would also be a lot of spots you could not get into, such as a walk that dead-ends into a raised patio, you wouldnt be able to get all the way up to the patio because the front castors of the mower would be in the way.
  10. subs1000w

subs1000w LawnSite Member

they make 2 different types a 12v electric "which is proboly the one he had" and a hydralic, they claim the hydralic one makes 3hp so there would be no stoping it but its also very complex with all the hoses and proboly very expensive they make no hp claim for the elctric which makes me think its very weak, have you ever seen a true 3hp electric motor there pretty big and require alot of current to run much more then the a 15amp stator from a mower engine could supply

ive also thought about this being solo i hate trimming and ive had friends work with me and the day goes by much smoother with somone else trimming so i could see even if you did only half the trimming with this it would save alot of time i think the best solution would be to power it off the left deck spindle power wouldnt be a problem then and it would be fine for fences and walls and trees youd still have to edge concrete though but to mee with would be well worth it