Weedwacker Repair?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by catflyer, Feb 26, 2011.

1. catflyer

catflyer LawnSite Member

My brother gave me a cheap John Deere string trimmer. It was in pieces when he gave it to me, and needed the carb cleaned. It was missing one of the muffler bolts. I replaced the bolt, got it running well, and used it for about 3hrs, when I noticed the bolt loosening. I overtightened it, and stripped the threads out of the motor. The local repair guy says on that trimmer there isn't enough metal to use a helicoil(?) to re-thread it. Is there a heat resistant epoxy I could just glue it back in with? I may as well try to get as much use out of it as I can.Thanks, Brian
  2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Get hear protection and run it with out muffler
    Just kidding
  3. GlynnC

GlynnC LawnSite Senior Member

I've attempted several different products--none worked. Finally thrashed a perfect running blower due to stripped threads--except it was the carb bolts--darn thing would run until the carb was almost falling off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  4. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

It's not the heat that will do it in, it's the vibration.
    Junk it and get another one.
  5. Stan MI

Stan MI LawnSite Member
    from MI

Maybe you could rethread it the next size up.

Or, try a metric thread of similar size.

Or, use a coarse thread bolt.

Put a toothpick in the hole then put the bolt in. (Toothpick takes up a little room.)

6. catflyer

catflyer LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. I think I'll try to do something, maybe epoxy/self tapping screw.
  7. betmr

betmr LawnSite Bronze Member

Try to rethread to next size. I'm guessing you put in a bolt you found in the junk drawer. And it was not an exact match. i.e. Standard bolt in a metric hole. Just a guess.
  8. catflyer

catflyer LawnSite Member

Actually, I went to the local hardware store, and a young guy helped me find a match for the original.
  9. STCL01

STCL01 LawnSite Member

Have someone put a helicoil in it. Its an insert that taps in and rethreads the thing. Sometimes it works better in aluminum than a simple rethread. Most mechanics shops can do it.
  10. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, but an honest mechanic will tell you that putting a helicoil in that trimmer is not worth the expense. You won't get that much use out of it before it either breaks again, or something else lets go.

Quality equipment is a better investment. (You get what you pay for.)