Weedwacker Reprise

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Stormchaser, Jun 19, 2001.

1. Stormchaser

Stormchaser LawnSite Member

One question I didn't ask on the previous WW thread and couldn't find out by using the 'search' function is which is better, a straight shaft weedwacker or one of the curved ones? What is the idea behind either one?
  2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Straight shaft is more durable. You have a longer reach, so you are faster. You can get under trees and brush easier. They are easier to use for edging.
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Around here, 95% of the Pro's use straight shaft trimmers. The curved shaft is cheaper and used by homeowners. Hoss gave all the good reasons for the straight shaft.
  4. Stormchaser

Stormchaser LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replys on the straight shaft. I still wonder why the curved ones came out. Maybe it was a marketing thing...more of a zippier look.
  5. script

script LawnSite Member

I used a curved shaft when I first started out years ago, and maybe it's just me, but I find that the curved shaft caused my back to ache more than the straight. I also agree with Hoss that you can move much faster with the straight shaft.

6. Ricky

Ricky LawnSite Member

I too started out with the curved shaft. When I wanted one with more power I had to go to a straight shaft. The straight shaft turns the opposite direction than the curved one. This was very difficult for me to relearn and get used to.
    Go ahead and get the strait shaft, you will sooner or later :)
  7. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

curved shaft is a lot shorter and tall people have to bend to cut, straight are stronger and more powerful and easier to use, also just a more pro image if u ask me. definitly the way to go in less on tight budget and already have a curved shaft. for me i have curved and hate it and will change asap.
  8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

my advice...go straight, young man! and don't look back!

9. Fallguy

Fallguy LawnSite Member

only driving force between buying a straight or curved shaft is if your budget will allow you to get a straight shaft - if its too much its too much - then go curved - sometimes you have to take what you can get when your new
  10. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I was curved, now straight. Hated the "relearning" for a week or two. wouldn't go back. dave g