Week of rain

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tim Enix, May 7, 2002.

1. Tim Enix

Tim Enix LawnSite Member

I was wondering how you guy's handle it when it rains most of the week and you get behind. If you miss a lawn because of rain and you cut it the next week do you charge extra because it is so long or do you just eat it and charge the normal rate?:blob4:

2. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Man there sure a lot of people from Ohio at this site! I may have to change my profile to Ohio.

Now the question:

If it rains two or more days non-stop, I would skip the first rain days schedule until the next week, no additional charge. Then I make up the second rainy day the following day.

A entire week of rain with no opportunity to mow, I'd take it on the chin, all the rain and no sun, it shouldn't be too bad, unless soggy ground comes into play. Go see "Spiderman".

Ive never been rained out two in a row, always managed to get something mowed early or late during one or both of the days.

Look on the bright side, no drought for at least three weeks!

3. John from OH

John from OH LawnSite Member

We scrape the mower decks, spray them with Mo Deck, put on the rain suits and go. We will stop for thunderstorms and downpours. With sharp blades and slower ground speeds most lawns will look fine. Occasionally we have to use the blowers to break up clumps. We mow twice per week on fertilized lawns, once per week on non fertilized so the grass is never very long. Skipping a route due to rain would put us to far behind. Several days of rain would make catching up next to impossible as everyday you miss, the grass keeps growing. You would have a very hard time charging enough to recoup the extra time spent on a property. Unfortunately, Mother Nature doesn't follow our schedule, we just adapt to hers.

4. Well as I am now 3 days behind due to rain we WILL be mowing non stop untill Saturday night no matter what.

Mothers day week end, all lawns must be cut rain or shine.

I figure it this way, they will call once the sun starts shinning, so we try to not cut in the rain if we can but when there is no choice we do what we can.

Remember this is a business, charge acordingly.

5. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Was cutting in the rain today. It's really not that bad you just have to be careful on the turns because of the divots. Otherwise I don't like to get behind so I usually cut in the rain. The only exceptions are when it is really pouring or there is a storm like what John said.

6. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

We've had the same thing happening here...rain, rain, rain!

Got tired of getting behind and double cutting later so I went to Tractor Supply and bought a good rainsuit.

Not so bad "mowing in the monsoon" except for the slowing down (divot and slide factor) and deck scraping aspect...it is overall just more time consuming...and all around yucky.

Oh yeah, and blowing soaked grass clippings off the sopping wet hard surfaces. You learn quickly to watch the discharge more closely under these conditions. Got it down to where the only place to blow off was right where I pull the Lazer up on the trailer. :D

All caught up now (finally) and will mow in a typhoon now if necessary to keep on schedule and cutting single passes.

7. Big 12 Lawns

Big 12 Lawns LawnSite Member

Hey John from Ohio,

When you mow twice per week, does that offset your following week? Are you mowing every five days or do you start each week the same and just mow twice? I have some apartment complexes that grow pretty fast and I am trying to figure out how to get them to be willing to let me mow more often and how to work it out in my rotation.

8. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Guys I have been in your shoes, but not for several years. I just suck it up, and take the beatin. The following week sucks the big one. But what do you do. Customers look at it from the stand point that they didn't get a cut and you won't get paid. Unless you have properties that pay monthly then I don't worry about a change unless they bring it up.

I know that most every one wasn't complaining about the rain, just about getting behind on the work. We are in the worst drought that has hit this area in the last while. Nothing is growing without having the sprinklers on. And there is talk of water restrictions, and that will mean greatly reduced mowings, which will mean drasticly reduced income if this happens.
    To say nothing of the fact that grass fire danger goes up every day that goes by.

9. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

We raise the deck a notch and come back in 4-5 days and cut it again.

10. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

rain sleet hail or snow iam going to mow. but really go slow and mowin the rain getting behind is no fun.