Weekend Phone Messages

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by XOFMOT, Jul 22, 2001.

XOFMOT LawnSite Member

I'm like a lot of you, My business runs Monday to Friday, a little on a Saturday (if needed) and Sundays off. What about those phone messages that are on your answering machine from the call that came in from Saturday afternoon until Monday morning? I have a seperate room for my business needs, and SHUT the door when I am done working on Saturday. Do you all wait until Monday to return the calls? Do you check your answering machine (those who still use them) throughout the weekend? The reason I ask this is that yesterday (SATURDAY) afternoon a message was left on my machine from about 3 P.M., I got home that night around 10 P.M.---went to bed. Woke up this morning and went into my "OFFICE" and saw the light blinking on the answering machine....I played the message and decided to give that person a call today..so I did. They were very nice, but they said they left a message with another company and they returned thier call yesterday (Sauturday):( They got the job. Well, I guess you win some and you loose some. But they need some snow plowing done as well for this winter, and told them I will look at thier property ASAP. So maybe I'll at least get a SNOW JOB...I MEAN......PLOW JOB out of this anyway. Thanks ALL!
  2. EROSS17

EROSS17 LawnSite Member

I find that I return calls right away in the beginning of the season. Because I'm excited about getting started and everything feels fresh. But this time of year, they're going to have to wait until Monday to get a response. If I have finished all of my work by Friday evening, the biz is shut down for the weekend and I try not to think about work until Monday (all though that's usually impossible)
  3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

If they were that desperate for services that urgently, I would tend to think they may not have been a customer you would want. They should plan ahead a little more. I am sure that is not always the case but maybe sometimes. I'm sure opinions will vary. You just aren't going to get every customer every time. I would like to think so, but if you miss a call and are a day late, that's life. Not too much you can do about it.
  4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I return calls to people asap, regardless. for example, two years ago I did a property for some people that were having an outdoor wedding but their mower crashed that morning.

they called, I returned the call, had the time to do the work and made the service call. I named my price for the cut and they gladly paid it plus included a gratuity. the gratuity paid for a night on the town for me and my lovely spouse and I have since done additional work for the family on an occasional basis.

5. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

let them talk to the machine! If they were serious about YOUR services they could wait more than a day to get a call back, especially on a weekend.

Work to live, don't live to work!! The weekends are for you and your family!

Your doing the right thing as far as I'm concerned.
  6. my customers call my cell phone. i check my mail when i get it. or within a few hours. if the call is not urgent then i sometimes wait. however if it is one of those, matt we need something done right away deals, basically what i would say to you is this. if you get the message at 11 pm on a saturday night, at least check it. because who knows, a tree may have fallen on the person's house, or across the driveway, at which time emergency rates come into play. so just keep that in mind. you may not have to call them back right away, but at least hear the message.
  7. wallzwallz

wallzwallz LawnSite Senior Member

i always check the message but wait until monday to call back. if there a mow n go customer how big an emergency could it be? i only have 2 customers i would call back both over 50K a year accounts. As far as new customers if they can't wait a day or 2 for response you probably don't need them anyhow.
  8. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I leave my cell# on the voice mail message for urgent calls. Most people do not mind waiting till Mon. If not oh well.
  9. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with at least checking the message. But, also remember we have to supply customer service as well. If you were to call them right away, you could have worked out your schedule with them for the mowing at another time, not right then. Most people want someone to at least acknowledge them. By calling you give them the peace of mind that it does matter to you and they would feel better about the whole deal. I always try to put myself in their shoes. If I didn't get the call I would feel my business does not matter to you and go somewhere else also. Never get to proud as to not call. Very bad customer service, and you never know what may come from the call. Its only a phone call, not life or death!
  10. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I will answer my calls, even on weekends. The only time I wait until monday is when we go to the lake, or if we have company. All of my customers know that they will get called back, and when I get referals, they are told this by my customers, but are suprised that I called back the same day. Most of them tell me that they called other companies, and the companies never caled back. Also by calling them as soon as possible, When I tell them that it will be a few weeks before I can get to their work, they don`t ever have a problem with that,
    This is what our bisiness is about, customer service. When you need a part for equiptment on a saturday, at noon, and the dealer is closed, didn`t you think that they should have been there, because this is a customer service business also,( even though some dealers wouldn`t know what customer service was if it came up and slapped them in the head):mad: .
    Answering calls that I get on weekends has not been a problem for me, and in a few minutes of talking to them I arrange a time during the week to meet them, and get the job :D