Weekend Scheduling?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by corycc, Jun 11, 2001.

1. corycc

corycc LawnSite Member

I am a small LCO with only 35 residential accounts and 1 commercial account. Recently I have had to face a big problem. Most of my customers would prefer I mow their yard at the end of the week so it looks on the weekends. Since it is just my brother and I, we cannot get them all done at the end of the week. I have even had customers threaten to take business elsewhere if I don't. I am not intimidated but would like to please the customer. I believe customer service is very important, but how far do I go?

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i dont know what size yards you have or what equipment you are running, but i think 35 could be done in three days right? if you mow wednesday,thursday, friday then they will all look fairly decent for the weekend. i have a few customers that told me they prefer it is cut at the end of the week. feel out your customers and try and base your schedule on which customers are the most annoying about having it done for the weekend. do the real picky ones on friday. just a thought.i dont know your whole situation.

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I would make sure your best paying lawns get done on friday,if the others want to be done on fird/thursday.If you didnt agree to hava them cut at the end of the week when you signed them,you dont have to,but you do run the risk of them leaving.Somethings gotta give,you can only do so much,I say replace them with better customers as they fall off.

4. Rob

Rob LawnSite Member

Almost everybody states they want their yard done on a Friday. Obviously, this isn't possible so you need to setup your own route to accomodate your best customers as best you can. You can't do everything in one day, and if it rains that day are you supposed to come on Saturday / Sunday ? In my opinion it all comes down to someone has to be first, and someone has to be last. So like I said, do what you can to take care of your good customers and if the others want to walk, then they weren't that good of an account anyway and you can replace them.

5. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I reached a point where we did 40 lawns on thursday w/ 2 crews, one on mow and one on trim and blow, and then we'd do 10 on friday and quit early. everybody wants it on friday. I started a 20% rule. if I had to guarantee it on friday, they had to pay a premium on that day. some bite. most will go for thursday. dave g

6. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

when i was starting out i had between 20 and 30/week clients. They all had specific days that they wanted the lawn cut. I tried to make it all work but as i got busier with mostly landscaping stuff i had to tell these people that i could not do it on certain days and i would not be able to guarantee any day - that is impossible.

now i mow most of my 35 mowing clients on thursday and fri which is what most would want anyway, but they are spread all out thru the week during school year. They dont really complain. Explain situation and tell them its THEIR only choice.

good luck with that.

7. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

ok, nows that the grass is slowing down, lol, i'm still cutting at 4-6 days on all my accounts. but during late june and july if the customers want them done for the weekend i can. BUT I CAN'T when the grass needs cut 5 days later, unless they want to pay more for me to not come when it needs done.
    think about it you maintain your lawns at (lets say)3.5 inches year round, you wait a week in the spring just to cut it for the weekend. and the grass is 7 inches high, how much stress are you putting on the lawn taking half the grass? alot in my book, plus all the extra work, and time, and time is money out here.
    you sold your customers on lettting you maintain their lawns, sell them on letting you cut when YOU feel it needs cut. good luck to you buddy.

8. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

It's tough waiting till Thurs & Friday to mow all lawns, one rain and your working on the weekend. When I started this business I had hopes of not working on weekends except during aeration season. I found that I was working EVERY Saturday, I have since changed and mow Wednesday & Thursday and I have Friday as a make-up day. I really did'nt say anything I just did it.

Everyone can't have their lawn mowed on Friday, I picked my best/important and mow them on Thursday, everyone else is on Wednesday.

Ray

9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

thats the one concession ive made to getting older.
    the weekend is mine to either work on equipment or
    whatever i want to. this 54 yr old body just needs that break to stay with you younguns :)

10. corycc

corycc LawnSite Member

My customers are spread out and I have 35 regular customers with at least 10 more on occasion customers. I have planned ahead for rain also. I must be lazy or something but we mow on monday, tuesday, thursday, and friday. I leave wednesday and saturday for rain makeups, paper work, maintenance, estimations, etc. Some don't mind us mowing on monday but I hate to have to drive more than 5 miles out of my way just for one lawn. Thanks for you help.