1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Cosmic Hippo, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Cosmic Hippo

Cosmic Hippo LawnSite Member

I'm looking to start in the business part time. I work in my current job monday thru thursday so I plan to spend friday and the weekend working on lawns. But I was wondering, are there any obstacles to working on the weekend? Are potential customers less apt to hire someone who cuts their lawn on weekends?
  2. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

I have not come across any customers that are less likely to hire you if you do it only only the weekends. The propbably about the weekends is that people are home more often and of course they are going to be watching your every move and more than likely talking your head off. It is great to communicate with your customers, however some of us like to get the job done and then talk.
  3. slebeau20

slebeau20 LawnSite Member
    from USA

One down fall is if you mow on Saturdays. Your residential customers will be more than happy to come out and slow you down.
  4. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

i dont think they will be less likely to hire you to cut on the weekends but if they have a problem do theirs on friday and switch one of the fri to sat thats what i would say...some people have asked me to do theirs on cert. days and i try to work with them as much as pos.
  5. C&F Landscaping

C&F Landscaping LawnSite Member

I started that way a few years ago. One major downfall is...what if it rains on Friday? Or rains on Friday and Sat? Make sure you have a way to cover your ass. Customers hate waiting 2 weeks to have their lawn cut.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Most people want the grass cut on Friday and they don't want to hear mower runnig when they are home. The environment has been changing in our area and part of the problem is the big mowers and blowers make a lot of noise. And if you are solo then the time on site is large and that makes the situation worse. But, I am in a heavy density city area?
  7. Scag413

Scag413 LawnSite Bronze Member

I do not think that people are less likely to hire you because you work on weekends. Since I only have 11 accounts I always wait to mow toward the weekend. There is just something about your yard looking good for the weekend. I do agree with C&F because if it rains everyday on the weekend then make sure you can get them mowed. Plus I would recommend buying an old walk-behind that is reliable for a backup mower. Do not put a lot of money into it but enough that you get a good one. What if your other mower breaks down on Saturday and most places aren't open on Sunday for parts or delivery how will you mow? This away it will be covered. Good Luck and God Bless!
  8. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

If I was paying to have my lawn cut the last thing I would want to do is listen to someone mowing my lawn. I want peace and quiet. You need to decide if you want to make this a serious venture.
  9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

very unprofessional to only offer your services on weekends.... what about week nights.... that might help....

not being offensive, but that sounds more like the hours of kids operation then the kind of image im sure you want to project....

and as stated, you get hit with some bad weather for a few weekends in a row.... and after a couple of weeks they are going to have to call someone else to do it....

can you think of another option that might work better for you??? :)
  10. Cosmic Hippo

Cosmic Hippo LawnSite Member

Just curious. Wouldn't week nights, when people also are typically home, be the same problem? I certainly don't want to annoy people. Maybe I'll see if I can fill up my fridays and leave it at that. Use vacation days from work if it rains on friday, and leave saturday as a last resort. Any ideas on what an ambitious, but realistic goal would be in terms of accounts for one day's work?