Weekly Mowing Accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RedMax Man, Apr 27, 2007.

1. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm having a hard time selling new customers on weekly mowing instead of bi-weekly. Seems everyone wants it done biweekly. I know not all lawns have to be cut every 7 days but some do. I just ignore all the wackos that think i should come once a month to cut their grass:dizzy: ...not unless they want to pay for it.
    Anybody got tips on how to find the ones who want there property done weekly? I know many LCO's offer only weekly maintenance but some will settle for biweekly.

Thanks for any input:)

2. Mr Priceless

Mr Priceless LawnSite Senior Member

well, targeting them can be difficult, i mean, it's not like there's a public info site listing everyone's interest and priorities....:hammerhead:

BUT...you can save time and breath when you talk to customers on the phone, like they may ask about different services (key services to listen for are fert, seed, irrigation, etc.):cool2:

either way, looking at the attitude of most typical residents, as far as why they would rather the lco do it instead of themselves, well...

Not enough time/tight schedule
    Lazy
    Can't beat the heat
    RARELY to get a nice yard appeal

back when they would used to have done it, they prolly didn't cut the yard any more often than 14-20 days after the last cut...:cry:

but I think it would be hard for you to find customers genuinely concerned with their yard other than keeping it short in reasonable frequencies....

hope i made a point...random thoughts kept bouncing in my head on the post:dizzy:

3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

here, every two weeks would produce 12 inch tall grass in the spring and early summer..... just have to weed through the cheap people to find the good ones.... it takes time

4. Toastpuppy

Toastpuppy LawnSite Member

I'm having the same problem actually!
    We are in a serious drought here, and the grass just isn't growning.
    I have some account that want me there every week, wether the grass grows or not, but most of my accounts have asked me to come bi-weekly b/c of the lack of grass growth.
    I'm having a hard time getting new accounts b/c of this as well.
    All my new accounts are crap yards!
    I'm less than a year in the business, and am trying to grow...and it's been a tough ride!

My input is to just do bi-weekly, if thats what they want.
    It may be more money to do it every week, but if the grass is growing so high every other week that it's a pain to cut it, then explain that to them and convince them to do it every week...thats what I did. lol

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Better tqke another look at bi-weekly most of our new business is bi-weekly then when we move into a neighborhood we start picking up weekly. Get youself an adjustable deck....and move it up and state the old rule you can't cut more than a 1/3 off or it will damage the grass.

6. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes, i let them know of the 1/3 rule. It's still early here to see how fast some lawns will grow but if they need it more often then i'll work with the customer to bump it up. Some lawns don't grow fast enough to really need cutting weekly but the lawns that are fertilized and irrigated often do. I got two biweekly recently that are next door to eachother. I like grouping them, makes everything more efficient and profitable.

7. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

People who want bi-weekly mowing are just plain cheap - that is all there is to it. I just love when I someone tells me, "oh, it only needs it every two weeks, it just doesn't grow that fast" Another one I had someone tell me one time was "I'm sure your really busy, so I want to save you some time, just mow my lawn every two weeks" In the spring, waiting two weeks to mow a lawn around here just = a mess. I have only two bi-weekly lawns and one of them it was my choice to do it bi-weekly anyways. I avoid bi-weekly cuts whenever possible.

8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I'd rather have a kick in the nuts than mow a biweekly lawn. I will do it if its my choice, like the past few weeks the grass wasn't growing very much but not to save the customer money.

9. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I don't offer bi-weekly or 10 day mowings. Only weekly or one time call visits.

10. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

So I guess youve got kicked in the nuts a lot :laugh: