1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

weekly mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yardguy28, Mar 24, 2012.

1. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

how many guys will do more than weekly mowings in the spring growth?

I ask because what was gonna be a new client may have just replaced me because out of all my accounts he is wanting every 4 days to start off. but yet doesn't want to pay more for the fuel it would cost me as an inconvenience in my daily routes.

I can't be driving to his property every 4 days. I'm on a diff side of town each day. his side on thurs. which is the day I gave him.

he is the only one wanting every 4 day or I could accommodate this request if I had others.
  2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Depending on how far it is to get there and how much the yard pays for its size, I'd probably do it. Making some extra money is better than not. You may not make as much as if it were on your normal route since you do have extra fuel to get there involved, but is the cost of the fuel enough to not make it worth while at all? Only you can decide that one.

Besides, this will only be for the early spring rush right? Seems like it may be worth it.
  3. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

every 4 days? that's kindof overkill to me. that's like just enough to mess everything up with your schedule. i would try to work something out like cut it mon then fri then the next week cut it wed and then the following week go back to mon and fri....something like that.
  4. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

I'll cut it everyday as long as they pay for it.
  5. Mxrider52

Mxrider52 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Well it appears if you cannot accomadate their request than you may already not be charging them enough to travel the distance. If a customer requested me to mow more often than I would be all for it. Are they really that many miles away that you can make the trip? How many miles are we talking? 15 or more? If you feel you cannot meet the needs of the customer than why not tell him the situation and explain how it would not be cost effective for you to travel the extra miles on an every 4 day schedule and explain to him if he wants the yard every 4 days than it would be this much more to travel x amount of miles.

If the yard is on your route during the normal times and after the early growth you will be going back to weekly I assume, how much money could you be losing? If it is on your route, and you travel maybe a few miles from the last house to his house you should be making more money there than if you traveled only to his house, so mowing every 4 days for a couple of weeks should even itself out in the mileage difference where you would still be making money or better yet let the customer find someone else and you earn nothing.
  6. whaler's Mow-Town

whaler's Mow-Town LawnSite Member

:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy: wowowow :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

Some of this stuff is just plain crazy:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

every four days....sounds like it might be a postage stamp. I have contemplated coming down on my regular scheduled maintenance price when someone wants it weekly but I musta been stoopid that day cause I know I dont like doing the same amount of work over and over for less.

The only reason you should be mad if they want you to do it every four days is if you didnt bid it high enough. Seems like they dont mind paying.
  7. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Is this the first time they are hiring someone to cut it? If so, it might just be that they did that way themselves.
  8. goodgreen

goodgreen LawnSite Senior Member

Always try to leave room in your schedule for adjustments like this. Like someone else said, spring can bring usual circumstances...but it always smooths out once the season gets started. I pick up a lot of clients from other companies who tell customers they just don't have time.
  9. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

If yardguy has a full schedule the extra travel time may well cost more than what he gets to cut it. If the lawn is, say, 15 minutes out of the way he is looking at 30 minutes lost mowing time. With no more information than we were given I'd be tempted to pass - unless it was a large property.

CS-LAWNSERVICE LawnSite Member

Seems like the customer does not wish to pay any more for the service then what was stated in his monthly contract