1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Weekly Only?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rookie03, Feb 22, 2005.

1. rookie03

rookie03 LawnSite Member
    from OK

Does anyone on here have their business set up to where they only do weekly lawn maintenance? The more customers I get the harder it is to schedule for the 10 day and 14 day lawn maintenance schedule. Sometimes I have two houses 200ft apart and one is done weekly....and the other every 10 days.

I was wondering how many ppl stick to weekly accounts only? And how many accounts do you have? How long have you been in business to be able to do this? And of course, where are you located? Thanks!
  2. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

I do everything weekly and always have, every 10 days or 2 weeks is a crock. Make them do it once a week and most importantly you will double your profits.

I do between 30 and 35 by myself every week. Im in KC where we get a ton of rain in the spring and early summer, if i let it go 2 weeks it would be sky high.

Plus for those 2 houses you mentioned your wasting gas driving to the same place 2 times in 10 days.
  3. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. Worst case, keep everything as it is now, and only accept new customers on a weekly basis. Make it a policy. You will have hell in the spring when its growing like a weed and they want you every 10 - 14 days. 5 is probably ideal in the spring, but you run into the same problem.
  4. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I tried the 10-to-14 day thing for a couple of clients last year. Total crock of doo-doo, even when the grass isn't growing so fast. It's impossible to keep a route that way.

Your instinct to stick to weekly as a matter of policy is right on target. Go with it.
  5. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

Only weekly here. Makes scheduling so much easier and less wasteful driving.
  6. MacPhersonlawn

MacPhersonlawn LawnSite Member

Two years ago when I started this business I took on everyone. Everyother week, every 10 days, only friday afternoons, etc. Can't make any money doing it. I now have all but one on a weekly basis. The one I have is an older lady who has little money and no interest in her lawn but to keep the neighbors from complaining she has me mow it every two weeks. She has no grass, just weeds and it only takes me about 15 minutes and is right on my weekly route. I will probably keep her but no more.
  7. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

weekly or the highway unless they are right next to another lawn and you can do it everyother time. We don't buy $15,000 in equipment to make $60.00 per month
  8. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

NEVER do a 10 day cycle. it screws up weeks as the day of the week always changes.
    we have a few bi- weekly's, but they are clustered in in one area. 7 houses all together, 5 are side by side, and two are 100 yards up the street.

we are not taking on any new bi weekly's.
  9. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

10. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I don everyone weekly... no other option. I do have a clause in my service agreement explaining that if drought causes their lawn not to grow that I will skip it for the week. I make sure that they understand that this is my call though.