Weekly or Bimonthly

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Rdizzle79, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Rdizzle79

Rdizzle79 LawnSite Member

We are just starting in business and I have run into some clients that are ready to use our company but only believe they need maintenance only twice a month instead of every week. (because of a small Property)

I agree with the clients (not verbally) but the owners of the company refuse to allow a twice a month schedule. I feel we should allow it in the beggining to get on our feet then be more selective once we make money. What do you guys think?

2. A1A Lawn Care

A1A Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I fully agree with you. You have to get your foot in the door somehow and be known. Unless there is more to the story, i dont understand why you wouldnt want to take any customers you can get.:dizzy:

3. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Assuming the owners of the company are experienced, they probably don't want to start out dealing with customers who will possibly nickle and dime them. During heavy growth times, even the worst lawns need to be cut once a week. Some customers think they can have the lawn service mow the lawn every other week for the same price as once a week. Every other week mowing should be at least double the price of once a week, but even then it is a time consuming pain due to the extra cleanup usually required. Then of course the customer throws a hissy fit when they find out they are being charged "double" (rarely occurs to them that their monthly bill will be the same either way). Then again, most companies won't actually charge double, because they just want to get going. So, with all the extra work and headaches, they are not making any money. And of course the customer is constantly complaining that their lawn doesn't look at good as the neighbor's (whose lawn is being cut once a week).

So... there might be one or two reasons not to take on such jobs.

4. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

no, no, no.... we cut every week except in extreme droughts.. thats it..... the grass is longer , takes more time.... they are just being cheap, the yards will look like hell, and that will kill your reputation.......

5. Rdizzle79

Rdizzle79 LawnSite Member

Thanks Guys that sounds great. Of course I don't want to deal with the scheduling headage an ever other week schedule will bring. At the same time I'm just trying to get my foot in the door in some of these neighboor hoods. Would anyone recommend a bi monthly visit to homes that don't have any grass? Because I have run into some of those people wanting an everother week service.

Of course my employers have great Ideas but sometimes Ideas can be hard to express in the physical world of Lawn Maintenance. Perhaps this Smile will let you know how I feel today.

:hammerhead:

6. BALSECA LANDSCAPING

BALSECA LANDSCAPING LawnSite Member

7. oslo

oslo LawnSite Member

Do what you gotta do until you build up a strong customer base

8. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

Just charge mower for biweekly customers due to the fact you're probably gonna have to go over the lawn twice the get it cut good, plus more trimming and edging, so CHARGE MORE!!!