Weekly Service sheets

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by alpine692003, Apr 3, 2005.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I just started doing this to my clients and told my crew to start handing these in.

What it is in a nutshell is, we have full service accounts for residential clients. We would be there every week and we would write out on our sheet what we did, ie) lawn service, flowerbed service front and back..
    After the crew is done, we would then hand this sheet into the customer's mailbox so the customer can come home and read what we did to their property today.

I find this solution the best way, cause some of the clients think we never showed up and in fact we did..

How many of you guys do this? I know once you get 50+ customers it will be an issue, but oh well..

What are your guys feedback on this issue?

2. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

Good idea with keeping your customers informed, but I'd be concerned about sticking something in the mailbox. You know you're not supposed to put stuff in there. Maybe if you stick a one cent stamp on the item, that might make it legal and an overzealous mailman couldn't grab it? Just a guess.

3. alpine692003

No, I meant your customer's mail slot..

We have no problems putting stuff in their mail slot or mailbox..

Through their house.. or where the mailperson leaves their mail in their mailbox, i drop off either or..

4. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the idea, but wow, what an addition to the day's routine.

I had only one customer last year who asserted that I didn't mow a week for which they were billed. I pointed out that had I not mowed on the date in question, that grass would have been up to a donkey's butt. That pretty much closed the discussion.

However, and here's the clincher, this customer was the biggest pain to collect from and I dropped them.

I love the intent behind your idea, but in practical terms, I'm no enthusiast. If it takes three minutes a day for each lawn you cut, after ten lawns, you're looking at 30 minutes. Tweny lawns a day is 60 minutes. That's another job or two per day. Unless there's a VERY compelling reason to do this, I aint gonna go near it. Also, I just don't think most customers need it.

5. wrestlingcoach

wrestlingcoach LawnSite Senior Member

I agree writing it out would be a pain

but a pre-made check list

_ Mow, Trim, edge & blow off
    _ pick up stick
    _weeded flower bed
    _trimmed shrub

with name already on there a whole minute maybe

justing usingg mail merge, form doc on WORD & EXCEL no problem

6. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

We have a daily log that is kept by the crew. At the end of the route it is turned into the book keeper. It has notations as to what was done above and beyond the normal cut, i.e. Hedge pruning, fert app etc...

She then transcribes that to their monthly invoice to include description of service and date performed

7. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I didn't read the initial question thoroughly. Yes, if they're billable functions, a checklist makes a lot of sense. Too bad my post didn't make as much sense.

8. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I would caution you on the customer. I know some of the customers I have wouldn't like me handing them stuff everytime I serviced there account...some would though. Anyway, the ones that don't care only ask one thing...perform the task, do it right, send them a bill. As long as the place looks good and any/al problems are addressed they don't care. I just place what we did on what particular day on that months invoice.

Also, I agree with everyone else about time consumption.

9. alpine692003

Yah, well I'm going to try it out.. a checklist that shows we mowed their lawns, serviced their flowerbeds front/back, trimmed cedars, fertilized etc..

10. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like a great Idea. How would you do it, are you going to make yoru own sheet?

Anyone thought of using one of those work order forms (they come in books at Staples) so you could have a copy for the customer, and a copy in your books for records?