Weekly vs. Bi-weekly

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Exess100, May 2, 2004.

1. Exess100

Exess100 LawnSite Member
    from N.Y.

We have a couple of customers that want bi-weekly cuts. My brother doesn't want bi-weekly because we r going to have to cut twice because of the length of thr grass. But i'v been reading that in order to cut faster you have to open chute and cut twice anyway. RIGHT? What do u guys think, should we try to stay away from it? How much more should be charged for a bi-weekly cut and what justifies the increse to the customer? For an example, i charge $30 for a weekly, so how much would i charge to go to bi-weekly?
  2. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

Well, twice the work usually means twice the money. ALso, the additional wear and tear that tall grass will inflict on your equipment must also be considered. Some mowers will burn up belt pretty fast in tall grass. I usually won't do anything other then weekly service. I do have a customer that I moe every two weeks, but the agreement is that they mow on my off weeks. If they miss a week they pay double. SO far they haven't missed.
  3. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I would say at least $45!
  4. sprout

sprout LawnSite Member

;) All things being normal I would say 1 1/2 times your rate.
    jajwrigh was right on the money.
  5. triadncman

triadncman LawnSite Member

I have some bi weeklys but its because the grass dosnt grow as fast as others not because the customer wants to save money on mowings. I do have a few customers, that insist that I let them call when they want me to mow. I dont know if its just a coincidence but one is from asia and the other is from the middle east and neither can speak very good english, however both seem to be able to communicate to me that they dont trust me to decide when their lawns need to be mowed, another thing is they both seem to want to let the grass grow 3 to 4 weeks and then have the nerve to ask me to cut it at a 2 inch setting when the grass is like a foot tall. I told them both my deck never goes lower than three inches, and when they do that i sometimes mow at 3.5 or 4. And as far as mowing it 2 times.....SCREW THAT.....if they want to be that way then a Hayfield is what they get. They never complaim....and why would they its already obvious they havent a care for they're lawns. I'll keep doing them as long as my schedule is not full but for every new customer I add their days are numbered.
  6. Dependable Lawncare

Dependable Lawncare LawnSite Member

I agree with triad. I have a couple of bi-weekly's as well. But these yards certainly won't be appearing in better homes and gardens. Thin grass, lots of weeds. I cut it one pass, and move on. If they don't care any more than to cut it every other week, they don't get the perfect cut the weekly's do. No complaints because they don't give a rat's rear in the first place. I don't turn down work from these kind of people (within reason), They're happy, I'm happy, it's all good!!
  7. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

This sounds right . I would charge 1 and 1/2 the normal rate and tell them no garentee on quality. And tell them it will take you at least 50% longer to cut it every other week.
  8. larz

larz LawnSite Member

Its bi-monthly!!! Bi weekly means twice a week!!! Go back to school and slap your teachers for gods sake!! Don't beleive me? Look it up! When you say bi-weekly to your some of your more intellegent customers, they just know your an idiot, & will treat you like one.
  9. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

to answer your questions i bet all of us take our chutes off and they are still brand new it helps with the clippings and most the time you should not have to double cut it also money wise you have to figure out how far you have to drive etc i would say maybe 50$ to 60$ a week depending on drive time
  10. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

if they want bi-monthy, i charge 50% more than usual. also, i took my chutes off of my gravely and the exmark.