Weeping Cherry Height Control

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by eruuska, Aug 6, 2005.

1. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

I'm putting together a proposal for a job that would include 2 white-flowering trees. I'm pretty much sold on the Snow Fountain Weeping Cherry, which tops out at about 12-15 feet, and can go within about 8 feet of the house (which is what the client wants). The nursery only has these in the 25 gal pots for $195 each. The guy also suggested going with a smaller pot, different variety of weeping cherry that gets up to about 25 feet, which would theoretically mean it can't go as close to the house as the client wants. It's also $80 cheaper.

However..... the nursery guy said that if you keep topping the tree where it splits into branches, in other words prune any new upward-growing branches, it will not get much bigger than 8 feet.

True, or what?

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

True but you have to do it all the time.If your concerned with budget,wait untell bare-root season comes and get a weeping cherrie bare-root for a fraction of the price.

3. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

Price is a consideration, but a relatively small one. The whole job I've got quoted at a little under $3K, so a couple hundred either way isn't a big deal. I think I'll probably go with the more expensive one that will naturally be smaller.

Thanks for the info!