weeping cherry pruning tips

Discussion in 'Tree Climbing, Pruning, Felling' started by Ethanslawn, May 19, 2013.

1. Ethanslawn

Ethanslawn LawnSite Senior Member

i have a client who has 2 weeping ornamental cherry trees and he is asked me about pruning them. I have done trees and shrubs but ive never done a weeping cherry like he wants then done (thinned,balded and etc.). i was hopeing for some direction on where to start or even just the dos and donts. thanx for any advice,

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I genereally prune the branches that are Not Weeping, prune them off the ground, sometime take out side branches that clutter, and of course sickly ones... but I wouldn't prune it to an "umbrella" no matter how much they demanded it , becuz everyone one who sees it is going to think you're goofy in the head... :)

3. Ethanslawn

Ethanslawn LawnSite Senior Member

Okay that's what my thinking was I really appreciate
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Trees Too

Trees Too LawnSite Silver Member

The big thing that you have to look out for with all weeping ornamental trees, is the non-weeping "reverted" limbs that will want to grow up straight, essentially trying to revert back to their native upright shape. These limbs are generally easy to spot on weep cherries in the spring, as the reverted/upright limbs will have white flowers, whereas the ornamental weeping limbs will have pink flowers.

5. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

Weird. Is this a result of grafting? A different root stock trying to grow through?

6. Trees Too

Trees Too LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, basically a combination of both. Growth coming off the root stock below the graft point. You'll see this occur with weeping cherry, weeping mulberrys. Then there's the half crab-apple/half apple trees. The key is to "nip it in the bud" and cut out those shoots as soon as the sprout. The more that they are allowed to grow thru the years. The harder it is to do corrective pruning.