1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Weeping Cherry tree is dying:( Any help?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by dmbmikee, Aug 28, 2005.

1. dmbmikee

dmbmikee LawnSite Member

Or so it looks that way. When I first got it to the install, it looked great. But then, when we planted it, we had some trouble cause the burlap came undone. We lost about a quarter of the ball. We put it all together (like humpty dumpty) and planted it with a sandy base, peat moss and lots of topsoil.

Now, 1 week later, half the leaves have turned brown. a quarter have fallen off, and the other quarter is a greenish yellow:( The lady at the nursery said it would come back in the spring, and that it was just really stressed. I dunno........

1. What's your take?

2. Anything I can do to help it survive?

Thanks for the advice:)!
  2. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

You didnt mention it, but what you discribe sounds like it wasnt covered?....here better nurseries wont let you leave with an uncovered load!!!!!...."Bulldog traps" let the wind through, but prevent harm to the plant.....in any case I'd apply a "Compost tea", something w/ seaweed to help stimulate new growth[ roots especially], ...."Good Luck" :waving: :alien:
  3. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like transplant shock especially since you inadvertantly exposed the root system.

Feed it lightly, mulch it and include a water ring and it should do ok next spring but you wont know till then.
  4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

A quarter of the ball is alot to loose,I'm assuming that the
    roots ripped off with it?I can't see how the burlap could come undone unless it was done at the nursery.
    My move would be to immediately remove it and return it to the nursery for replacement or credit.
    If the nursery owner told you it will come back in the spring she is just trying to get out of replacement.
    How does she really know that?There is no way for her to know that.
    But I'll tell ya she will conveniently forget you bought it there and what she told you when you take it back in spring and it's long dead.

Also adding all that peat moss is not so great.It can and will pull moisture away from the clay ball and hold on to it.Unless you wet it very well and made sure it was totally expanded with water when you mixed it into the soil.
  5. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

sheshovel hit the nail on the head. Your problems are caused by a loose rootball, losing part of the root ball, damage to the root system and using peat moss. I would not expect it to make a miracle recovery.....
  6. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

This is another example of how using the root washing technique would have been the way to go. You don't have to be concerned that trees are leafed out when root washing, so don't be afraid to try it. If you haven't heard of the technique yet it is quite simple but it does take more time. The steps are; remove pots, baskets, ties, nails, and burlap. Soak the ball in a tub of water for a few hours or until the soil falls easily off the roots (a day or two is not too long). Untangle and inspect the roots, pruning out the damaged and circling or "J" roots and locate the first primary roots, often several inches below the soil in a root ball. Plant in a shallow, wide hole in native soil with gloved hands using a "mudding in technique" redirecting the roots away from the stem or trunk. Make sure the first primary roots are visible above the soil level when you are finished. You probably will not have to stake trees planted this way. Using the root washing techinque helps trees and shrubs thrive, not just survive. Adding beneficial mycorrhizae and micronutrients at planting would be a great idea but ammending the soil with anything else could be asking for trouble down the road. Make any sense? Neal
  7. dmbmikee

dmbmikee LawnSite Member

Very helpful tips! Thank you!

I dnt have a warranty on it:( I bought all my plants and trees with no warranty. I always do that.....If I go with no warranty, then I get 30% off everything. With a warranty is only 10%....So I usually do the 30% unless the customer is willing to pay....which they never are....haha

My loss I guess....Hopefully she'll come back. We'll see.
  8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

bmbmikee,your not giving your customers your 30% discount are you?
    And you are doubling or 1&1/2ing the retail price of the plants and tree's to the customer aren't you?
    Like say you buy a tree at 30%off,and it's $25.00 your price ....Your selling it to your customer at $62.50 or more arent you?
  9. dmbmikee

dmbmikee LawnSite Member

No I'm not giving my customer my 30% discount. I told them plant materials were $2500 when they were only $1100....however, I still dont want to buy another wheeping cherry....lol
  10. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like a mild case of shock an by the way cherry an starting to turn an drop leaves anyways so dont freak out . use some isotech 14-14-14 on it an it will be good for winter see ya