weeping cherry turning over night

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Precision Lawns, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Precision Lawns

Precision Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I planted a weeping cherry in the spring. It was fine through the spring and the drought middle TN just experienced. Once the drought was over, the tree turned brown. Instantly. There is a bit of sap seepage out of the graft at the top of the trunk. Any ideas? no damage anywhere else on the tree.:confused:
    [​IMG]

2. poolboy

poolboy LawnSite Silver Member
    from earth

That's a bit high for peach tree borer. Are there any green leafs? Twigs on the branches, if you scrape away the skin, is it green or dead? If so, then a healthy drench of compost tea or soil activator will help save it, after you find the reasoning behind the sap. BTW, we can't grow cherry trees in my neck of the woods.

3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

just curious but what did the nursery say from where you bought it? If you just planted it this year and you had a drought, it was under a lot of stress and probably just went dormant early. btw, good discussion on going on about a cherry tree on this thread....http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=199695

4. BostonBull

BostonBull LawnSite Senior Member

The sap coming out may be a sign of drought. It may be trying to push water and only sap comes out with no water available.

Post a few more zoomed out pictures including leaves.

And was it REALLY overnight?

5. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

I see a suspicious looking 2 toned twig that looks like desication over a period of time to me.

6. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

Was the lawn treated with any chemicals about the time of the change in the tree? It could be drift from weed control chemicals applied to the lawn.

7. sandman23

sandman23 LawnSite Member
    from GA

It is from the drought and heat. Cherry's have soft wood and they will expand somewhat causing the cracks and sap. I am seeing a lot of it here in north GA.

8. Precision Lawns

Precision Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Here is a picture from further away. This did NOT actually happen "overnight" but over the course of a few short days. I hear a consensus about drought stress. Is there anything to be done now? should I wait to see if it comes back next spring?
    [​IMG]

9. BostonBull

BostonBull LawnSite Senior Member

Get a closeup of the mulch and the root flare.

It look like crushed stone? It may have something to do with the way it was planted too, but most likely drought. Do the owners have irrigation? Do they water regularly?