Weeping Valves

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by cjohn2000, Aug 4, 2012.

1. cjohn2000

cjohn2000 LawnSite Senior Member

Ive had a migraine for the better part of the day, so Im gonna try and make this make sense. Seems like all things lately come in threes. This week ive had to address weeping valves on three different sites. The first was a residential 1" RB DV100, cleaned it, leaked, replace the guts, leaked, now my boss suggests we just replace it. Went to a commercial site 1.5" RB peb. Cleaned a few burrs off the diaphragm, still leaked, tightened the solenoid and problem solved. Next, is the grey and black RB valve stuck open throw new diaphragm in it and now it weeps out of the lowest head, tightened the solenoid seemed to stop.

166251dc08a9__1344056253000.jpg

2. cjohn2000

My question is , whats the best cost effective policy for the average valve. Obviously we cant always have it our way and pull out something we dont like, like the above scab job. I always been more inclined to try and clean stuck valves first and throw guts at the weepers. But I always find myself pulling the guts out of the lowest head watching for water to stop. Thanks, Corey.:waving:

3. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

I've had days like that too but not recently. Flush the valves, replace the diaphrams and install check valves on low heads. Listen for seepage with a stethoscope. Check for pressure loss with a gauge. Time consuming and irritating crap.

4. cjohn2000

Sometimes I roll up on a weeping valve and you can hear water going through, a high pitch hissing. But none the less irritating. My biggest thing is solving the problem on the first call.

5. irritation

Why? My biggest problem is convincing them they don't have a leak.

6. cjohn2000

In the case of the first example the valve will get replaced entirely on the third trip. We dont carry parts for valves, so figure two trips if the valve needs parts.

7. irritation

You don't carry DV valves on the truck?

8. cjohn2000

I be lucky to hav one complete valve to go in.

9. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

I replace the guts on all seeping valves. Valves are cheap and labor isn't.

10. mrsteve

mrsteve LawnSite Member

For a few years now we have seen quite a few of peb's cracked at the seat. Rebuild will not fix this seep, has to be removed. I think the newer valves have addressed this problem. I used Irritrols as replacements, during this time. I'm still a little cautious about the peb.

PEB crack.jpg