1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Weigh in on this. http://www.cutmywaterbill.com/

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by FIMCO-MEISTER, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Weathermatic (or a sub making it appear to be WM) has done something here and I'm not sure how to digest it yet. One of my buddies called me just furious about the whole thing.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

$299 extra for a factory-certified installer? Sign me up! :p
    If I ran Weathermatic, you could count the hours before that website got $#!+canned
  3. First truly automated system that guarantees lower water bills and browner grass
  4. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

what a crock of sh!t.
  5. Well I talked to my rep and here is the story. WM is getting overwhelmed with HO requests for their smartline timer and weather monitor. (I believe this part. City of Frisco has gone big on the ET thing and the WM timer is featured prominently on the info literature.) WM won't refer to individual contractors and have referred people to the supply houses to get contractor referrals. Supply houses want nothing to do with it.(I can believe that) Finally WM got so fed up with all the calls and no one to refer them to they made arrangements with a company to provide their products at list price and requiring installation by a Smartline certified contractors. (which I am) They intentionally required the pricing to be higher than what they felt the average contractor would charge. (Looking at their prices I would agree with that) Looks like an easy money opportunity. Will investigate further and report.
  6. Mjtrole

Mjtrole LawnSite Member

Sounds like a big headache to me, I can imagine the conversation goes something like this:

Contractor: Thank you for calling ABC sprinklers, how can I help you?

Homeowner: My waterbill just came, I paid all of this money and didn't save anything are you going to give me a refund?

Contractor: Um no we didn't guarantee anything, weathermatic, the manufacturer of the product did.

Homeowner: Well I paid you and I want a refund.

Contractor: You'll have to take that guarantee up with weathermatic, let me get you the number.

Homeowner: Thank You.

Local News Channel: Thank you for calling channel 7 news, how can we help you?

Homeowner: Yeah, I paid XX amount for this sprinker stuff from ABC Sprinklers and they ripped me off.

Local News Channel: Give me the address, we will get the camera crew there immediately with an investigative reporter............................................
  7. It does drive your bill up a lot more in the summer but it will drop it a lot in the winter. Having one at my house I would guess my bill has dropped cuz I haven't been shocked by anything and I'm always a little surprised how low it is. The one thing it does that your run of the mill r/f sensor doesn't is that it keeps your system off two days after the sensor dries out. Am I a fan? YES from personal experience.
  8. I keep forgetting you winter boys don't water in the winter anyway. Oh well this thread is not for you anyway.:p
  9. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

I hate getting laid off in the winter,

I wish one of you good contractors would give me a shovel this winter.
  10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

What a crock..makes me embarassed to use Weather-Matic...tho it is typical
    of the ad agency...remember Miss Lawn Mate?:laugh: