1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

weighing my options on tank sprayer..

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by inzane, Dec 27, 2012.

1. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

lol, yeah.. i'm getting a little to anxious for spray season. i'm pricing things weighing the options.. more than likely will be backpacking it for a while. might as well keep my eye out for a used permagreen.. :)

2. Cadzilla

Cadzilla LawnSite Senior Member

Lemee do you a favor if you are looking at new. Try GNCI https://www.gnci.org/

They are in Arkansas. Shipping is cheaper and they use piston pumps that are bulletproof.

I swear by these units and the company is good too for parts and such.

Heres a tip. You can get a 200 gallon unit now and only fill it half way. :)

Unless you're driving all over all day with 200 gallons don't worry about it. As you spray the volume drops and gets lighter.

Plus you're still at around 2000 lbs loaded. That truck can handle that safely in my opinion understanding that some limitations apply while you are fully loaded..
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  3. TurfWerks

TurfWerks LawnSite Senior Member

Your 1/2 ton truck will hold 200 gallons just fine especially if your staying local. You could always add helper air bags to the rear fairly easy..
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. TurfWerks

TurfWerks LawnSite Senior Member

Also if your gonna end up at 200 gallons and your pump would push it I would bump up to 3 gallon rates.. more carrier to deliver your products.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. inzane

there is a local guy selling a northstar 200 gallon tank, it looks fairly new from the picture.. but he wants 2400. he's had it for sale for months. what would be a good offer on this?? if i can get it for under 2k it might not be a bad one. better than that 100 gallon unit for sure.
  6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

200 gallons will work. No need to fill it up. You can add a leaf to your springs for extra carrying capacity--cost about $150 at your local truck shop.
    Remember, in a year or two you will graduate to a newer--bigger 3/4 ton truck. Maybe a one ton.
  7. newbsvw

newbsvw LawnSite Member

I would keep looking on Craigslist and E bay for old Lesco Spray rigs. This time of year, there is always a couple that people are getting rid of for one reason or another. If you know how to work on them, you may find one that is in good shape that has your hose and electric reel already on it.
  8. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

Ever thought about using one of those push type sprayers instead of back packs?
  9. inzane

this is what i ended up with.. it is still pretty much new, hardly ever used.. tiny little 50 gallon skid.. mabee i should outfit it with some shoulder straps and use it as a backpack.. lol $650.00. it was built less than a year ago, the girl that sold it to me just never got her biz to take off.. she was doing t/s with it. i'm gonna fill my back pack sprayers with it until i can get me a t&s program figured out for 2014.. gonna practice on my own landscape for a while first to see how it goes. the jd-9 works just fine with this, i get plenty of distance surprisingly enough .

10. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

That looks SHARP! lol..