Weight dist hitch needed?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Guthrie&Co, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

I am picking up a new enclosed trailer in a few days. size is 8.5 x 20. towing with a f 250 4x4 psd ext cab short bed helwig overloads. do you think i will need a weight dist hitch and a swaybar?

2. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had both a 18ft and 22ft enclosed trailer that I have towed with SRW pickups. There was not ever a time with either trailer that I felt I needed a WD hitch.

3. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

If you load it correctly you should not need the WD or the sway bar. If your set-up is going to require alot of weight up front, you might need the WD, but at 20', you should not need the swaybar.

I have a 35' Travel Trailer and we use WD and Dual Cam Sway Controls on it, but it is right at 10K lbs and is about 12 ft tall. It is a large sail going down the road. The cargo trailer for you equipment is nowhere near that bad.

4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

We have the same setup with our travel trailer. I too have never even considered it for my landscape trailer with the tractor. The deciding factor is really about hitch weight.

Guthrie, just like Total and Eclipse said, it's how you load it. Keep the majority of the weight over the axles and you'll probably be fine. Not too much in back though or she'll wiggle like crazy.:dizzy:

5. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

Well we will find out for sure in the nest two weeks. i have some ball and burlap that i need to install as well as 100 xmas trees to bring down. we shall see.....:cool2:

6. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I have towed around my race car on a 21' open trailer (not what you have, I know) with my F250 without an issue. It is set up for a weight distribution hitch, but I have never used it or had a need for it. I have everything but the truck side of it. Never needed to spend the extra $150 to $200 for the reciever.