Weight Distributing hitch

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yardboyltd, Jul 18, 2002.

1. yardboyltd

yardboyltd LawnSite Senior Member

Who here uses a weight distributing hitch in there busines?? If so what type of trailer, truck, and load and the results of the distributing hitch over the convential deadweight hitch... Also, is it time consuming to attach and detach almost daily?

2. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I don't claim to be an expert on a weight distributing hitch, but when I was looking for my last one I wanted something more substancial then the regular class three. Some guys told me that If I wanted something to handle 8 to 10 thousand pounds I needed a weight distributing. I also heard they can be a hastle, and are expensive. I found a Drawtite that will handle a 10.000 lb trailer when using a draw bar rated for that. It was the same price as the regular class three but had the carry capacity of a weight distributing. I would go for a pintle if I need something stronger then a 10,000 lb hitch.

Reese does not make the 10,000 lb one, but Drawtite does. Good luck

Jay

3. yardboyltd

yardboyltd LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure if your talking about what I am... This product takes the place of a normal drawbar, in your standard hitch(Even Class III)... It's suppose to take all the dead weight on the end and transfer 1/3 of it to the front wheels for better handling, braking, towing, and control. Attached is a picture.

wtdistrib.jpg

4. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

10% of the weight of your trailer (loaded) should be on the hitch. If over 10%, use a weight distributing hitch to even the load on towing vehicle.

Draw-Tite works great. Need to take some time to set it, and check for wear and maybe adjust a couple of times a year. My trailer is tongue-heavy, and without the Draw-Tite, at rear tire body sinks almost 2" and front raises 1" - would make for poor handling. With the Draw-Tite, I can get front and rear to lower same amount.

Takes a few more seconds to hitch and unhitch, just need to release the bars, and remove them from hitch if you're driving the truck somewhere.

Regular double round bar types go 550#, 750# & 1000# tongue weight. I use the 750 because my tongue wt was just over 550. They have others that go higher.

5. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a weight distributing hitch "snap ups" I think they are called in the hitch industry.

I run an open 6X12 trailer, and I pull it with a 2000 Dodge Dakota (Magnum V8). Without the Snap ups on; my truck rear is down a little, but with the Snap ups installed the weight is thrown on the front of the vehicle. These will also make the trailer handle better (less swaying).

I highly recommend them!! It takes me about another 2 minutes to install them.
    Jim