Weight distribution for eXmark TTHP 52

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mark McC, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I know this sounds really anal, but here it is anyway. Does anyone know the weight distribution between the back and front wheels on an eXmark TTHP 52?

The reason I ask is that the axle on my 14' trailer is six feet from the back. I'd rather park the back tires as far back on the trailer as I can to reduce tongue weight.

Why is this an issue? I'm looking at the Bull Rider and the Jungle Wheels velkes. The Jungle Wheels velke pulls up and out of the way, while I'm not sure the Bull Rider does. If the TTHP has a ton of weight on the front wheels, I'm going to lean strongly toward the Jungle Wheels (MSRP $295). If the rear wheels hold two thirds or better of the 700-odd pounds, I have some leeway.

By the way, does anyone know what Trimmer Trap is getting for the Bull Rider?

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I would guess the rear tires hold much greater than 66% of the weight.

with one arm you can lift and hold the front of a 52 TTHP but I don't hardly believe most people could lift the rear off the ground and hold it with all their might.

GEO :)

3. Mark McC

Thanks for the feedback, George. I have to admit that I'm leaning toward the Bull Rider because of the articulating wheels, but have a funny feeling that those wheels entail a few more bucks.

4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

the BullRider weighs more than JungleWheels and will cost more I'm sure, I'd guess around $350, but I would say its definately worth it! I have a TTHP 52", lots of weight on the back, little on front, as said, can lift front with one hand and hold if needed, also look at the tire size. the back tires have a much much larger footprint (square inches contacting the ground) compared to the front, and they're still going to rut more than the front tires, so definately most weight is on back, more than 3/4 of total weight I would think.

What are you pulling the trailer with that tongue weight matters so much? Just curious.
    Congrats on the new mower, you will love it!

5. Mark McC

Hey Eric,

I don't have the mower yet, so too early for the congrats, though I have to admit I'm looking forward to it.

I'm pulling the trailer with a 1986 F-150 xtra cab/long bed. I replaced the shocks last year and my mechanic said the springs were okay when I had it in the shop last year. Still, I'm kinda leaning toward replacing all four springs because at times, the rear end seemed down a bit. Maybe that's to be expected, but I'm a worry wart, I guess. If the tongue weight isn't so onerous, maybe the springs will serve another year.

I have a Metro 36 and figured the weight distribution was pretty profoundly tilted toward the back on the TTHP, but wanted to make sure.

Regarding your opinion on the Bull Rider's effect on the TTHP 52, do you find that the front end pops up a lot with the added weight of the Bull Rider? I like the idea that I could raise the front end a notch to go over tree roots and so on, but you know how it is: there's a fine line between a front end that's easy to boost and a front end that likes to pop up without asking permission.

6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Just my .02
    used on a snapper Hydro 36 the old black painted machines with a 12 or 15 kohler..
    I had a model similar to the bull rider it was nice you stayed right behind the controls at all times. on hillsides it wasn't worth a thing. remember when you go around corners, it will "kick-out" (like the back ends of Walkers) so you need to be careful on the first passes when you close to buildings and such. I took out a few gutters until i got used to it. I had problems with the tires. close to curbs the tires would hang up and on several occasssion i had the tire come off the rim as i was making turns. no biggie getting it back on, just a PITA. I ended up running really high pressures(30-40 PSI) until I put on solid rubber tires.... Nice and comfortable though, but again you loose the space under the handle bars for the deck of another mower for trailer purposes. But they do unhook form the mower easily enough.

7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

The front end was a bit light as well, but i guess if was a real issue you goudl always add a few lbs to the mower deck.

Also. as opposed to doing full springs, i have purchased Helper springs before. a nice stop-gap measure for getting by until the new truck comes along...

http://www.mrtruck.net/springs.htm

you could always go the air-bag route as well....and those you cold move from one truck to the next. as you grew.

8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Mark,
    If you load the 36" on the trailer first, and put the 52" on back you shouldn't have any problems at all. The F150 will handle the weight, and yes its normal to sag but as long as you don't have a ton of tongue weight it will do just fine. My uncle pulled antique tractors on a 16' car hauler with a 1987 Dodge half ton 2wd a few years ago, it didn't squat too much just he knew how to load a trailer properly.

I have only used a Bull Rider at EXPO in the demo area, but I loved it. I would say it would be similar to my Pro-Slide which I love also. The ProSlide isn't for everyone but its a really nice and productive sulky. Great if you want very definitive stripes, smooth ride, light weight, and need to go from riding to walking frequently and quickly. If you will be using the sulky on a lot of hills, the ProSlide is not the best option if you are wanting to ride, but it will work fine unless its real steep or slippery. I've used several types of 2 wheel sulkys including Jungle Wheels, great universal sulky but with that big heavy hydro it would be great to have a castering sulky. I find the TTHP needs a little bit of weight added, I put 20# on mine. The weight kit from Exmark is the same weight and is small and streamlined looking. It doesn't stick out like a sore thumb and from what i've heard its priced reasonable (thinking around $40). They clamp onto the frame right by the caster wheels on the mower. That amount of weight is not too much to make handling and wheelies difficult without the sulky either. If you tie a sulky up to the handlebars, if its a heavier model, it will affect the handling and will wheelie easier (sometimes bad) just don't let it accelerate quickly coming out of a turn and don't use on real steep areas (disconnect sulky or do what I did when I used to use a 2 wheeler- let it ride on the ground but walk beside it).

The floating deck on a TTHP and the anti-scalp wheels (if set properly which is no problem) will take care of tree roots. You don't have to pop wheelies over everything anymore like with your Metro :)

The weight distribution is proportionally similar to your Metro. More weight, but about the same percentage on front and back.

9. Mark McC

Hey Marc,

Thanks for the input on the springs. I've thought about a stop-gap like that, but really think that it makes more sense to go ahead and replace the original springs altogether if they're worn out.

Regarding the Bull Rider versus a velke with an articulating connecting frame, do you have a preference? I like the idea of backing up on the Bull Rider better than on the Jungle Wheels for obvious reasons, but I already had figured I'd pay for it with the tendency to swing out on that first pass as you mentioned. How do you feel about that trade-off?

10. Mark McC

Thanks for the input, Eric. I guess the worry wart tag applies. It's just that with older vehicles, one tends to be a bit hypervigilant. As for the Metro and the TTHP, I'm not sure how many days I'll take them both. At first I certainly will, but over time, will probably leave the Metro in the garage one or two days a week at least.

Are you serious about the TTHP 52 needing counter-weights? I really would not have guessed. Metro 48, sure, 'cause a fixed deck machine weighs less than a float. Oh, well. Just when I think I've got almost all the da**ed little details ironed out.