Weight Distribution System

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by cddva, Oct 8, 2006.

1. cddva

cddva LawnSite Member

Anybody use one of these on your hitch/trailer?? Can it be installed on any hitch or does it require a special hitch? My 10K hitch says its good for 12K with a weight distribution system added. Just wondering if anyone uses one and what's involved exactly.

2. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I have nevr used one, but I have wanted to at some point. I have the sway bars. You need to have a special reciever hitch that will allow for the sway bard to attatch. These alone can run you $250 to $300. I have nevr had a need for miy set up yet.

3. Rizzo

Rizzo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Are you talking about a weight distributing hitch? If your hitch gives a split rating like 10k/12k then you can use a weight distributing ball mount with spring bars to even out the weight carried by your truck and tow up to the higher rating as long as your truck is rated for it. You will need the extra equipment; spring bars, the WD ball mount that the spring bars hook into and the trailer mounts for the spring bars. It makes pulling loads in the upper ranges much safer and easier for your truck because it places more of the weight on your front tires of the truck for better handling and braking. I towed a large travel trailer with this equipment and it makes a big difference.

4. Rizzo

Rizzo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Oh ya... And if your trailer is a long one the sway bar attaches along with the spring bars to keep help with wind when you are on the highway. A sway bar is a straight clamp that holds brake linings. The more you tighten the clamp the less the trailer/truck can turn. Just don't tighten it too much and NEVER back up or turn tight with it attached. Mainly used for safe highway driving...

If you tow a trailer with to much tongue weight it makes the steering and braking very dangerous because it lightens the front end alot. That is the reason for the whole weight dist system...

5. cddva

cddva LawnSite Member

Thanks for the good info! I may have to look into purchasing the parts for this setup. I may be pushing the 10K limit of the hitch if I buy a mini-ex. Currently when trailering the track loader with two or three attachments I can feel the front end of the truck get a little light, even though the truck rear end isn't noticeably sagging.