weight of a yard of mulch?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by STIHL GUY, Apr 25, 2010.

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

does anyone know a rough estimate of how much a cubic yard of mulch weighs?? Thanks
  2. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Average moisture.... about 800 lbs.
  3. lukemelo216

lukemelo216 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ...

ya is it really wet, or dry and does your supplier give you a heavy yard, light yard, or what?

my supplier heaves the bucket full probably an extra 1/3 of a yard on there when he scoops so 3 yards for me is really probably close to 4yds
  4. jeffslawnservice

jeffslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

I think if its dry then 750 and if its wet then 1000 so some where between those two numbers.

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

ok thanks. i was just wondering how much i could load into my truck
  6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

If your talking about your 2500HD, even with decent height side boards, you really cant overload it with mulch.

I'd watch with your Ranger though.
  7. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

Our supplier takes the loader from the bottom side of the mountain of mulch. The water drains down that deep, so getting dry loads is unfortunately a nightmare.
    It depends on the density of the mulch. Double hammered hardwood can weigh as much as 1500--1700 lbs. moist.

That is if the loader gives you a full scoop plus some...??
  8. GrassIsGreenerLawnCare

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

good question man....today i went to pick up some topsoil w/ the 5x8 tiny trailer. needed 4 yards. could only load 1 1/2 each time. SUCKED. We are buying a 6x10 tommrow w/ a 3500 lb payload. 15in tires, 16in sides, double hitch tongue, heavy duty axle. got it brand new for $1200. Its gonna help us alot with mulch jobs,soil and everything else. Goin back and forth to pick up supplies really burns time and gas
  9. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

no way in hell does a yard of mulch weigh 1,500 pounds. Did you smoke a yard of crack or what? i will take a yard to the scale with me before the weekend and tell you for a fact.
  10. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

im thinking more like 400-500 pounds. I can put a yard of mulch on a tarp and drag that mother like a mule and its not even that hard, shoot i can lift it off the ground if i bust a nut and i know i cant lift 1,500 pounds. Thats just crazy talk.