weight of a yard of topsoil??

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by M.A.Landscaping, May 2, 2010.

1. M.A.Landscaping

M.A.Landscaping LawnSite Member

i was wondering if any one new how much a yard of topsoil weighed to see how much i can carry in my truck at one time, have a big job to do gonna need around 9-10 yrds.

Thanks, Marc

2. SouthernCutter

SouthernCutter LawnSite Member

Well its probably heavier than a yard of mulch, or so i would think, so probably anywhere from 850-1000 lbs a yard. but thats just my guess and it depends on the size of the yard by the supplier and if its wet or dry....

3. M.A.Landscaping

i know its definitely heavier than a yard of mulch, but thanks for the guess, i would assume its somewhere in that ballpark

4. TMAC

TMAC LawnSite Member

1 yd weighs atleast 3000 pounds a little heavier if wet. if mixed with compost mabye a little lighter 2800 pounds

5. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

topsoil is pretty heavy. last year i loaded like half a yard in the ranger and it was squatting pretty bad. If you need a lot we can load up my truck and trailer too

6. M.A.Landscaping

damn if its that heavy im thinking about just getting it delivered, save me time and some money

7. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

3000 pounds for a yard? That's about 1000 pounds over. It's roughly a ton. My local yard sells it by the ton. One bucket load is about a ton, according to their scales. I can only haul one bucket of top.

With a job like that, I usually get about 3/4 of what I need delivered, then I make trips with my truck to feather in the last couple yards to make sure I measured everything right. Nothing sucks more than to have overestimated a delivery.

8. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

thats a good plan too. its not like you have to pay for delivery either. its the customer that does. how many yards do you need??

9. M.A.Landscaping

9-10 yards im gonna spread it out with my tractor, its a gravel driveway in a back yard that they don't want anymore, i got rid of most of the rocks last year but the lady wanted to wait till spring to finish the job

10. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Around 2000 lbs with average moisture. Get it delivered.