1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Weight of leaves?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bunton Guy, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Just curious im trying to build a leaf box for a dump vehicle and I am trying to figure out the weight of roughly 20-25 yrds of leaf mulch once vacumed?? I dont have access to a truck scale.
  2. lawnstudent

lawnstudent LawnSite Senior Member

Big difference between wet and dry leaves! Are you looking for worse case weight of 20-25 yds wet leaves?

3. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of truck will you be using and will you be mowing over the leaves and picking up with an attached vac or not?

I do know that I have a 32 bushel bagger, "cyclone rake" that fills up at around 800-900lbs dry. That it is a over one cu. yd. like 1.111yds., but there is always a little air inthere so somewhere inbetween, but it is really compressed after going through the mower with double gator blades on it, in fact, sometimes it is hard to lift the unit up to dump. Then they are run again through the truck vac and compressed into the back of the truck.
  4. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Alot of oak leaves moist...not dry not wet mostly freshly blown beds...blown to the street and then vacumed up no mowing or mulching them prior to the leaf loader. Going in the back of a F-350 SRW PSD with a dump insert with sides attached to it.
  5. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

Just checked scale slip...... 7 yds of leaves 1.3 tons. That was fairly wet and ground through a lesco truck loader. Mostly oak
  6. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

Bunton guy,

What size bed are you using. My new truck has a 12'x8' flatbed and at 4' tall that is only 14cu/yd. Personally, I don't see a SRW F-350 being capable to carry that much with a dump insert. Also, check your GAWR , I believe it is around 9000lbs which leaves about 4000lbs for other stuff befor dump insert. Have you thought about getting a truck vac and mower vac. If you did, you could condense the leaves 10 times and not have to worry about such a large bed. This year I had to use my 8' long bed with a truck vac and mower vac but it really packed them in tight and I was at least able to go an entire day inbetween dumps. And I was able to dump at a friends place for free since the leaves were ground up so well that he'll be able to use as compost for his farm next year. Personally, I think that is the way to go and I especially had to laugh when I saw a large company yesterday fill an entire cab over w/16' bed with very little leaves and having to dump 1/3 way though a job because that it what will kill you is the extra trips.

Just read previous post and I know that the times where I did not run the leaves through mower beforehand they were hardly ground as compared to what I'm used to getting through the mower. Actually had a problem with one that filled the truck up to fast and I ended up jumping in the back to pack the leaves in tighter so I didn't have to make an extra trip.