weight question

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by cutbetterthanyou, Sep 11, 2011.

1. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

I was thinkin of getting a dump trailer. Not sure of the laws. I know over 26000 i need CDLs. If i get them can I pull over 26000 with a regular pickup, or do you get into air brake trucks and what not. How much combined weigh can you pull with CDLs and a pickup truck.

2. wellbuilt

wellbuilt LawnSite Senior Member

You can run a rig with a CWR of 26000lbs .
    F350 with 12000lb load / trailer weight .
    Most pick up trucks need WDH with snap up brackets to pull a 12000 lb load . A CDL driver can drive any legal combo truck/ hitch/ trailer .
    With a small truck there is a fine line to be legal .
    I thing 12000lb is as heavy as i would go with a pick up the tires start getting real flat .
    I pull 16000lbs with my cab over . John

3. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

You're going to get alot of different answers to this question, most of them wrong. Go ask your state DOT.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

So what your saying is with a f350 you can't pull a loaded 14k dump trailer?

5. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

I was going to say the same thing, go to a local state police station and ask for a dot officer because if something happens a dot officer is going to careless what someone on lawnsite said..

6. Duffster

Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Without a CDL? It would depend on the GVWR of the F350. If the GVWR of the three fiddy is over 12k then no.

Loaded or not makes no difference.

CDL class A allow you to drive everything except a motorcycle.

When talking about weights for a CDL it goes by GVWR or GCWR or CGVWR.

A F350 dually will easily pull up to ~15k on the bumper and ~20k on a gooseneck.