1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

weight that a dodge ram 1500 can pull

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by HoffmanLawnCare, Jun 19, 2005.

1. HoffmanLawnCare

HoffmanLawnCare LawnSite Member

anyone on here have a clue of how much weight that a 95 dodge ram 1500 4x4 short bed can actually pull, i'm looking at getting a dump trailer if my truck can pull it....
  2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Need a 3/4 ton really. You could prolly handle it tho, just don't fill it up. Braking would be the tough part.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Same as a car, 1000 pounds max. It's not about the power or the engine, it's about the transmission because the 1/2 ton series is geared the same as a car, you need at least a 3/4 ton. Doesn't matter if it's auto or manual: Automatics slip within 6 months, manuals burn out the clutch in 6 months (ok they MIGHT last 12 months but they can also go in 30 days or less).

I'll put it another way: I can TOW your p'up truck as far down the road as you want, think you can tow mine?

Yes I know people pull boats in 1/2 tons but they don't do it everyday. For everyday use, your tranny will not last 6 months with a dump-trailer.
  4. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not sure what planet you are on, but 1/2 ton trucks have virtually nothing in common with modern cars except that they run on internal combustion engines. It is true that generally 3/4 and 1 ton trucks hold up better to the rigors of heavy towing but to say that towing with a 1/2 ton pickup is like towing with a car is just plain stupid.

Back to the original question, if you are towing more than around 5,000 pounds on a regular basis the durability of your truck will suffer. A tandem axle dump trailer weighs around 4,000 pounds empty, so this is probably a little out of your truck's league. If I had a dump trailer, I would tow it with a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup minimum with 4WD, because a loaded dump trailer will be very difficult to place where you want it if you are off pavement on trying to go up hill.
  5. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

ive got a 2500hd (3/4) chevy with a 6.0 (gasoline) and pulling a 14ft dump trailor with electric brakes is hard.. I wouldnt suggest much weight in with a 1/2 ton.. maybe a 10' dump would be pushin it.
  6. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck figuring that one out.

I towed a 3000 lb trailer from Texas to North Carolina, through the Smoky Mountains and back again with a 1/2 ton '97 Dodge Ram and never even noticed that it was behind me.

I tow the same trailer with the Tundra all the time too. No problems. I prefer the Tundra to the Ram. Don't worry about towing me Topsites, Toyotas don't die on the side of the road like some other brands. :p

I do agree that a loaded dump trailer is going to be more than you want to try with a 1/2 ton truck.
  7. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't think twice about pulling a dump trailer with a 4x4 1/2 ton. What I would worry about is the dodge transmission. They are amoung the weakest out there.
  8. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

It'll actually pull what it will pull.. and not a pound more. And it will pull it for as long as it will pull it and not a mile more. And it will burn as much gas as it will burn and not a gallon more. And will go as fast as it will go... loaded or empty, up hill or down, and not one mile an hour faster or slower.
    So the answer to yur question or anyone else's about ACTUAL towing/hauling/gas mileage...
    Yur guess is as good as ours!
    You can get the gross weight off of the sticker on door panel or anywhere on the internet. Ok.. so ya wanna REALLY know? Try it out... no guts no glory.. load it up and drive.. load it some more and then load it til it pukes gears out on the road.... then you'll REALLY know!