weight vs balance on trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Acute Cut, Jul 14, 2004.

Trimmers: Weight or balance?

1. Heavy is fine, balance is an after-thought

1 vote(s)
  2. Balance first, then ill decide if i need to work out more

7 vote(s)
  3. Heavy and powerful! Balance?

3 vote(s)
  4. Be at peace with yourself and be balanced at all cost.

2 vote(s)
  5. What do i care, i have employees to do that!

0 vote(s)
  1. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, writing that darned trimmer article tomorrow and myself and the guys got into another discussion and they want me to ask this before i write my article.

Some guys say weight of a trimmer is important, but are we speaking about how heavy it is or if it is balanced. I personaly dont care if they are heavy, but balanced is a must. I am going to submit all these polls to Jim K. for the article as well. Maybe yall will get printed..

Thanks again Sean Adams.
  2. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

i guess these werent exactly the best options. i just didnt know how to write it in non paragraph form. sorry guys.
  3. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

I see no difference in weight itself, but length and balance are important. The less I have to strain my back to bend (which I don't anymore with my Redmax) the better the trimmer is to me. Basically, balance is more important. The feature I find most important, is when you are done trimming for 30 minutes, you don't feel like you were trimming, but rather just walking.

Hope this helps, somewhat!

thanks for getting input on all the articles you write, I appreciate them.
  4. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I voted for "Balance first, then ill decide if i need to work out more" for the simple reason that I cannot fathom the rationale for anything that increases operator fatigue. Even a modestly heavy weedwhacker will drag you down if it's not balanced.

Manufacturers go out of their way to design equipment to reduce operator fatigue. Why would anyone want to reverse that trend?
  5. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't mind if it's heavy as long as it's powerful and balanced.