1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by tthomass, Apr 14, 2008.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Can anyone tell me exactly what a cab and chasis 4500 weighs? Reg cab, 2wd.

Gross is 17,500 and i don't see that cab and chasis coming in at 8,000 lbs leaving me 9,500 lbs to work with.......from which a body must be subtracted, fuel, tools etc.

Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know. Local dealership couldn't tell me anything but they sure could order me one........morons.

Thing is the one I bought is sitting at the shop and I have to let him know to do aluminum or steel bed and it all depends on the weight.

2. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Any way you can drive it to a scale?? I've been to the county stone quarry a few times this year getting my combo weights and curb weight numbers...

OH- is it not legal to just drive the chasis cab on the road?? I think it might be...
  3. BOEpavers

BOEpavers LawnSite Member

We have a 4500 2wd with a 4 yard steel Galion Dump with fold down sides, 16" high sides, 22" high tailgate, half cab protector, and tarp. Light weight (empty) on that truck is 11,060, GVW 17,500, leaving load capacity of 6440.
  4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Drive the truck to a scale at a landfill or gravel pit and get your actual tare weight with a full tank of fuel. It is the only way you are going to get a accurate tare weight.

The 11 foot 6 dumping flat I'am currently building for my F-450 is heavy I'am glad I didn't go with the heavier steel like I originally planned like using heavier channel iron and angle iron perimeter. All structural steel and 3/16s plate for decking.I estimate it shoud weigh with the hoist mounted around 1500lbs.

If I used a underpowered can't lift anything scissor hoist then it would weigh atleast 2200lbs.
  5. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

I went to a scale house this morning and talked to the guys I know in there. They told me what is on the door (17,500) means nothing but determining CDL status.

They said tag the truck for whatever I want.........20,000 for example. Bring it by, empty and they will weigh it in to see what I can haul. Depending on the wheel base and what it weighs they will then tell me how much I can legally haul. Whole point is dealing with the axles, just don't overload the axle. Which doesn't really make sense to me because what on the door = the axles.

Anyway, body is being built for the truck. Using 10g steel vs 3/16", thinner sides too......also the cross members are going to be 3" vs 4". They're doing everything they can to save weight without losing the strength needed. Box going behind the cab though is aluminum. I'll save several hundred pounds in the end.
  6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

You can only rate the truck so high and currently the big factor in the gvw is braking capacity. The trucks can carry more than they can stop.

When I was trying to decide what I wanted to do with my flatdeck it has to be tough enough to what I use the truck for. I was going to go with wood decking I have had trucks with wood decking. You have to be carefull about dropping scrap metal on wood decking. When I was calculated out weight the 3/16s steel I'am using is only 200lbs heavier than the 2x6 fir decking. The 1/8th steel was lighter than the wood. I was going to use 1/8th Mild steel (10 gauge) but its borderline. You drop something heavy bettween the crossmembers it punches it down. You can get higher tensile strength 10 gauge but that is expensive it is also harder to work with.

The crossmemebers on the deck I'am building is 3 inch structural channel each crossmember weighs 31.9lbs I was going to go with heavier 3 inch channel which would have weighed 38.9. There are 9 crossmembers and I saved 63lbs sticking with the 3" 4.1# channel. I'am going with 5 inch long sills I'am doing that for height I want the deck low as possible. I'am using 5" 9# structural channel. The two longsills (members) are 104lbs each.

The standard longsills manufacturers use is 6 inch but that is too tall every inch counts when it comes to low loading height. Also 6 inch channel is lighter than the heavy 5 inch I'am using which is 11 lbs heavier.

The long sills (members) are the back bone they provide the strength. I'am using a front mount post hoist so all the weight is being lifted at the front of the deck. I will never beable to power the hoist out not like a scissor hoist. The front mount 3 stage hoist will bend the trucks frame before it will stop lifting. I had a F-Superduty with the same size hoist the truck would easy dump 9000lbs of gravel. Another F-Superduty using it on a site putting 12,000lbs into it dumped it at a idle never had to rev up the PTO.

Guys I see with scissor hoists they are shoveling material off because the hoist doesn't have the power. Plus a scissor hoist adds weight to your truck your adding 450lbs of hoist weight. The scissor hoist with the same lifting power at the front mount I hoist I have weighs 570lbs.

I never weighed my hoist cylinder but I can lift it by hand it must weigh 200lbs with the hoist craddle removed which weighs 20lbs.

Slowly working at getting the deck built. It is hard on the body using muscles that a person hasn't used in a long time. I haven't done any steel fab in 2 years so a guy also has to get used to getting hot metal slag burning your skin :laugh:

It is like riding a bicycle you quickly learn how to do things again.