Weighted front casters

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowerbrad, Mar 10, 2008.

1. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I've been thinking about putting on some weighted front caster wheels on my ztr to help counterbalance the bagging system. I've already got the weight kit but it would be nice to have the weighted wheels as well. Does any one know where I can get some and about how much they cost?

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

You could always buy a set of solid foam filled front tires. They're CONSIDERABLY heavier.

3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I never heard of weighted front wheels.

4. NIXRAY

NIXRAY LawnSite Senior Member

I've used a 'loaded' front end on a Ferris IS series. with a 'home made' bagging system (No I didn't design the system). With a loaded front end you really almost have to re-learn how to operate the rig, watch for the rig to 'lean' forward when stopping, turning. AND when you need to jump a curb you must back up it, if you try to ram the curb you'll fu:nono:k it up!. Now where to get them for the Ferrris we just went a used a Toro set, Toro does make them as far as price I got ours used at our local dealer for $25 a pair, however I belive they run upwards to $60. Gimme you mod/ser. numbers and I'll see if I can find some
    PEACENESS
    G~Force Small Engine:usflag:
    NIXRAY

5. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

How much weight do a set of these tires add to the front?

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

They're more than twice as heavy. Don't know for sure. They were J-Thomas brand.

Just an FYI, too nose heavy can lead to poor handling. Especially on hills. You WANT rear tire bias. Too heavy on the front affects steering and the tendency for uncontrollable downhill decents.

7. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Your manufacturer should make them available as an accessory if your ZTR is designed to accomodate that type of item ... best thing to do would be to check with your dealer !!