Weights added to walkbehinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassdaddy, Mar 22, 2003.

1. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone bought or made weights for deck on walk behind??mine bounces bad in 4th gear,but I think with a little weight I could pick up some speed.Would there be any down side?What would be a good weight to add?? :confused:

2. John at JDH Select

John at JDH Select LawnSite Member
    from Indy

By manufacturer suggestion, I had to add weights to a 36" Snapper wb with a 14 hp. Kaw. The silly thing bounced all over the place in 1st - 4th gear. It did help the problem, however, it did not cure it completely. The package I purchased placed one weight on the front of the deck and one weight on the top of the deck. I'm not sure of the #, but I think it was in the area of 35 lb.

Good luck,

John

3. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have weights from Exmark on the front of my TTHP and they do help keep the front end down esp. when using my sulky. They are 9.5 lbs. a piece and mount on the forks.

4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Do the weights make it harder to lift the front end of the mower? I find my Scag likes to wheelie going over knolls with the sulky but adding weight would make it harder to lift and it's already hard enough for me.. not that I'm a weakling! :blob4: :p

Yes eXmark's kit has two weights each 9.5lbs each one clamps to the front caster arm like TJLC said. They are on the website www.exmark.com

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We use 40lb dumnbells. Helps a lot especially going uphill and turning on slopes. Downsize is it makes it harder to jump curbs though.

6. scottt

scottt LawnSite Senior Member

I had a 36" gear drive toro that bounced really badly. I added a cinder block to the front and that solved the problem. I have since replaced the toro with a Stander and there is no comparision.

7. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

If you're bouncing in 4th gear you need to lower your tire pressure, both front and rear. Tires are made to absorb the bumps. You shouldn't be having the problem in 4th.
    Pete

8. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

BHB, yes it does make it a little harder to lift the front end but without the weights it wants to wheelie too much mainly when using the sulky.