1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Weird customer

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by siclmn, Nov 29, 2005.

1. siclmn

siclmn LawnSite Senior Member

I was doing a cleanup and the vent hole in the foundation had no screen left. The owners had put a kitchen cabinet door against it and it was held in place by a rock. It was not tight against the foundation so mice could still get in. Being Mr fix it I thought that I would just run home which is a few houses away and cut a nice square from the wood and nail it over the hole. A few days later I got a call saying who told you to do that and where is our kitchen cabinet door? WTF? It had never occurred to me that someone would take a perfectly good cabinet door out of their kitchen to do a repair like that. But then again these people are weird. I called them the next day and left a message saying that I would make them another door but they have never called back.
  2. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Ever heard the expression "no good deed goes unpunished"?
  3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Oh well, it was a nice thing you did!! Good job!
  4. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Remo, that was nice of you to do that, but a rule of thumb I learned long ago is "Do not do anything you are not asked to do".
  5. siclmn

siclmn LawnSite Senior Member

I have just learned that lesson.
  6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

XYZ lawn cuttin, and fixin things company LOL
  7. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

isnt that bobbys company name?
  8. METRO 36

METRO 36 LawnSite Senior Member

If it aint broke dont fix it. One time i pulled up an old piece of carpet during a clean up from around some shrub's. Later on i was informed that was suppossed to be there for moisture retinion. SILLY ME I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN THAT. Unless they ask i leaf it like i found it.
  9. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Sounds like you are a nice considerate guy. But when it comes to customers it's best never to go ahead and do ANYTHING without getting confirmation and the go ahead from the client. Otherwise, you'll end up getting screwed somehow.
  10. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Never touch anything that wasnt discussed, because, most of the time, some wacky thing will happen. Some people are just plain wierd, and do all sorts of odd things around the house, and just dont understand when someone was just trying to help them out.