weird customers now?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Jul 18, 2008.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We ain't gunna post any of our experiences now -- maybe later , just wondering if any of you guys are now running into "oddball complaints/customers" that make no sense whatsoever........yet they blame everything on you?? (it's that time of year:laugh:).

Let 'em rip.....(Cheap entertainment while hoisting a cold one) rscvp, thanks:usflag::canadaflag:

2. tmorrical

tmorrical LawnSite Member

I had a guy call my to look at his yard and give him a estimate on Monday. The yard was new and planted in spring of 07 with irrigation. It was brown and yellow except for 33 bright green spots. I told him that I see that he has a dog and he replied no they were just dog sitting. :hammerhead: He had a core aeration done last fall and you could still stick your finger down about 1 inch in the holes. :confused: The lawn was horrible and the only green spots were because of dog poop, so I gave him a quote to try to get it back in shape. His reply was that I was almost twice as high as CL TG. I tried to explain that you get what you pay for. He said that he may call me back. :dizzy:

3. cod8825

cod8825 LawnSite Senior Member

AmericanLawn,

I became a subcontractor on lawn apps for a company in Johnson Coutny Kansas which has some of the most particular customers in the world. This may not be what yer lookin fer but I got a call from the owner of the company stating that a customer was freaking mad and could not believe that we let his yard get completely out of control on clover and nutsedge. He states that if we are not over there by the end of the day to treat his yard he is going to cancel the contract for the rest of season.

Mind you that I spray or spot spray with back pack every time I am on the property and that this guy I was at his property for Grub and summer fert only two weeks ago. I go to his house and all of his clover is dead or dying and there are like 10 nutsedge weeds in the yard. I almost took my roundup out the truck and torched his yard because this guy is 40 minutes from my house.

Matt

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

So Mr Randy called my wife and said I burned his lawn in spots on the hill last week. I had used my Permagreen Ultra to spray and spread. I stopped to look and talk. No sign of fertilizer granules. No dark green around the streaks. (So...I don't think it was fertilizer.) There were four distinct lines curving around a hill, about 6 inches wide. Longest one was 30 feet long then shorter and then shorter yet. The lines were about 4 feet apart. Of course I drive the PG at about 10 feet swaths. Pictures to follow maybe, tomorrow--when I reseed.
    I suspect that it was due to gasoline spilling from customer mower. The rest of the lawn looked fine. Customer was nice--no anger.

5. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I have a really picky customer and almost can't stand him somtimes. This guys thinks he knows everything about lawns...so I just let him talk and he is so full of crap it isn't even funny.

He called me about two months ago and told me he had crabgrass (which I knew he didn't because we hadn't had enought GGD's yet)...so just to prove him wrong I said...Hey I will be there in about a half hour and you can show it to me. When I got there he said he did see some, but he couldn't find it!

Then a few weeks ago he called me right after I applied his grub control and told me his lawn was brown.

Keep in mind that I did a total renovation on his lawn last summer and reseeded it with TTTF. It has been by far the nicest lawn I have had all last fall and this spring.

When I get to his house the next day I pull in his driveway and I see an AWESOME green lawn.

When I get out of my truck this guy is IRATE and says that he paid me to have a green lawn. #1 I said...sir you seriously have one of the nicest lawn that I take care of and #2 after the seed is in the ground everything is out of my control and left up to the environment! I then told him I was not sure why you called. He then walks over to the lawn and says look...do you see the brown stems in this lawn....?

If you look from the road it looks 100% green, but as any lawn, when you walk in it, it does have a few brown stems here an there which is typical due to summer heat and I did see a little disease on some PR which is part of the TTTF mix I use.

He finally cooled down...but I don't think he ever got it!

This guy is old, a know it all and even though he has an awesome lawn....I still think that he thinks I screwed him! Some people!!!!

1 more episode like this and he will have TG taking care of him....because I aint taking his bullcrap anymore!!!!

6. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

creech,

I have a customer like that. He has big patches of Bermuda, Centipede, and St. Aug., three very different textures yet he keeps giving me crap about it and thinks it should look like a golf course. I keep telling him there's only so much I can do, I can get the weeds out but I can't spray it into a uniform stand unless you pay me to resod it.

A couple weeks ago on a Friday I was running way late and it was 7pm when I finished cutting the grass and he comes out and starts asking me why the grass looks so uneven. After a couple minutes of his bull s... interrogation I finally just said "what the hell am I supposed to be looking for here?" So in his usual dramtic fashion he huffs and puffs and walks around and points to literally a single bermudagrass seedhead that was sticking up!! I kinda laughed and just walked away I was so pissed.

Anyway, the point of all this is that I just sent him his last invoice and told him that I could no longer continue servicing his property and I feel so much better already. I've never fired customers before but I've done it twice this year and it's made all the difference in the enjoyment of my job. I'll bend over backwards to make a customer happy but if they're completely unreasonable it's better all the way around to part ways. Otherwise it just continues to get worse until they fire you anyway and you'll probaby get bad mouthed more in that case than if you cut out before it completely disintegrated.

7. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

:clapping: I ENJOY firing those PITA customers, the look on their face, or the sound of their studdering voice when you fire them is priceless:laugh: ...Especially when they try to talk you out of it:)

8. Real Green

Real Green LawnSite Senior Member

I have customer who keeps calling me and telling me he has clover in his yard. We have been out nine times and have yet see any clover. Everytime I ask him for an appointment he tells me he doesn't have time but to just come out, you can't miss it. I told him last week, obviously you can miss it because your lawn has no weeds in it at all! He laughed and said, obviously I should be running your lawn care company cause you aren't doing your job. I told him we take great pride in what we do and due to gas prices if we have to come out one more time in between rounds to find nothing, we would be charging him $75 for a service call. He said I'm sure you guys will get it this time and hung up the phone......... :laugh:

9. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

ask him to mark the area w something, chair, ball something. I love it when there is a single weed.