1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Weird Damage That Cost Us $1,000

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JustMowIt, Oct 27, 2004.

1. JustMowIt

JustMowIt LawnSite Senior Member

It was late afternoon Friday, July 4th weekend! Received a call from customer that we cut the main gas line to her house and she had no hot water. This was an executive with Wal-Mart, $350.000 home with 4 children. Now, we get blamed for a lot of things, but this one is impossible because this is a 1 ½ inch steel pipe rising out of the ground, then elbowing to the house. We usually just tell them to get it fixed & send us the bill rather than personally go to look at damage because it never changes anyone’s mind. But, in this case, we wanted to see, & yes, there was a little slice (like a saw) in the pipe.

By then it was 6PM, she had called the gas Company to turn the gas off & really upset! So, we went to the phone book looking for a plumber at night, & after hearing $2 & 3 Thousand dollar quotes, we called a company called “GOD TO THE RESCUE” plumber that said he would do it that night for $800 but we had to bring him a money order. What we did not know at that point was the City must inspect the repair before the gas company would turn the gas back on & the plumber must show that he personally is a licensed master plumber. Not the case with Mr. GOD. Wow, what a predicament on a Friday night July 4th weekend.

To make the story shorter, God to the Rescue found a friend with a license; somehow we got the City to inspect, & the gas Company to turn back on by Saturday night. Whew what a project.

How did we accomplish this? Well the 21 inch Toro was almost new, but a rock had broke out a hole in the skirt about 3inch square. & somehow while they were snuggling up to the pipe, the hole in the skirt allowed the blade to cut the pipe.

We learned to never use a mower with a hole in the skirt.
  2. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

This happened July 4th and your posting it now?
  3. ztrlvr

ztrlvr LawnSite Member
    from US

Some guys are busy I guess
  4. JustMowIt

As was reminded about this while readin the post about the WB stuck in the stairway.
  5. Wreak

Wreak LawnSite Member

Good thing the blade didn't cause a spark. :blob2:
  6. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

JustMowit, you typically just tell customers to have it fixed and just send you the bill? You must have money to burn man. :rolleyes:
  7. JustMowIt

Yes, it is true, we pay more than we should sometimes, but the flip side is if we send someone to fix it, & they find something wrong with it, or the workman got mud on the carpet & this list goes on, not to mention all the phone calls of being in the loop.
  8. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

A skirt with a hole in it sounds kinda dangerous. . .shouldn't have operated it like that anyhow. Sorry to hear about your situation though.
  9. oneandonlyjojo

oneandonlyjojo LawnSite Member
    from NY

i do the same i tell them to either find someone and give us the bill or we can do it for you.
  10. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

As someone else mentioned isn't it risky to run with a broken deck skirt? Bummer you had to pay 1000 to fix dammage. I thought at first it was going to be a brushtimmer with a blade on it when I first started reading.