Weird looking grass...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 04TurfT, Apr 17, 2006.

1. 04TurfT

04TurfT LawnSite Senior Member

I have this one yard that I mow and the very top of the grass has about a millimeter of brown on the end of it... I thought this might be from dull blades, but it is brown on the very top even after I cut it... anybody know what this is?

2. Rev. Crabgrass

Rev. Crabgrass LawnSite Member

Good Question. Sounds like dull blades, How long after you cut do you notice it? I have seen that is usually takes a day or so for the top of the blade to brown if it has been torn. Anyone ever hear of a fungus that kills from the top down???

REV.

3. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Did Bobby gedd ask you to post this lol?
    Has this browning happened more than once?
    Blades to low the time before and your just cutting the top of the brown off?
    Is the grass dead or just off color [there is a difference]?

4. 04TurfT

04TurfT LawnSite Senior Member

YeAh I dunno I noticed it when I was there to cut it this week, I'll see if its there when I cut it next week... I'm gonna throw some sharp blades on there and see if it corrects it...

5. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

The dreaded Brown grass disease. if the tips are brown 1 mm right after you cut it, then it was quite a long brown area before. if its a day or two after....could be drought stress or dull blades....or very tiny creatures pooping on the tops of the blades

6. RyanD

RyanD LawnSite Member

The brown grass disease? I have a customer with this as well. What is it called?

7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

There is no dreaded brown grass disease ..I think grass-scapes is just kidding..dull blades will do it.

8. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

The scientific name for this disease is...dull blade syndrome.:D

9. NCSERVICE

NCSERVICE LawnSite Member

yeah if the grass hasnt seen water in ahwile the tops of the grass blade can be brown

10. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

Scientific Name = Dullious Blademus Syndromesis

:laughing: