1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Weird Phone Call

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by qualitylandscaping, Sep 21, 2003.

1. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I got a really weird phone call last night. Some guy called me and said his dad is 80yrs old and he wanted me to give him an estimate for mowing and hedge trimming. I took down the address and call back phone number. I ran out last night to give the estimate but the address didn't exist. So I called the phone number, and the area code doesn't even exist. He said he mowed a golf course on Long Island, and his dad lived about 5 miles from me (which would be true if the address existed). Said he knew about some of my equipment and made a specific reference to this forum. But the weird thing is he knows members of the fire department that I'm in. He was drunk and really sounded like he was prank calling but I treat every phone call as a serious one.

Did you guys ever get anything like that?
  2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Not yet.......but ya never know. I wonder if he followed you around and laughed at you too?:p
  3. Black Water

Black Water LawnSite Senior Member

Mabe, it was the Mothman.:D :D
  4. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

qualitylandscaping, You have just entered "The LawnSite Zone," :eek: :eek: :eek: ;) LOL
  5. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

Not near that bad, but I got a call from a guy that seemed darn happy with the hedge work "I did" a while back and wanted me to come by and give him some ornamental installation ideas. Had to call him back & let him know I was not the service that helped him before. Must have gotten my name out of the phone book.
  6. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

if he was young it was probably a prank

i guess it funnier now to prank the local landscaping company with a lawn bid than prank dominos with a dozen pizzas:)

i would be careful before taking any more wild chases qualityland
  7. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

sure your buddies at the fire station weren't playing a joke on you
  8. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

The scary part is the reference to your equipment. Hopefully you have a big mean dog (one that prefers blood over steak) guarding yer stuff. If not, set booby traps to protect it. Maybe you'll catch a booby!
  9. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

I'm currently helping start a church right now. The pastor (really young and cool / age 29) called me the other day asking for me to cut his grass (pretending he was someone else). Asking me if I could fish's dolphins and elephants in his hedges. ALl sorts of dumb crap, but cause I didn't reconize the number on the caller id I treated it as a prospective customer. So I went along with it for a long time before I realized it was him. We all had a good laugh.
  10. sodzilla

sodzilla LawnSite Member

sounds like you could have been the next guy to rob a bank with a bomb around your neck