Weird Question???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lrunner, Feb 8, 2005.

1. lrunner

lrunner LawnSite Member

Kinda a weird question, but what is the going rate to pic up trash like at a shopping center. I mostley just to the landscaping there, but the owner wants me to pick up the trash 2 days out of the week. The place is about 2 acres big and there is random trash troughout the parking lot. He also wants me to look over the sprinkers only to check that they are working right, no repairs (I'm not licensed yet) just turn them on manually and check them out while I am there. What would be a pretty good price on that? This is the first time I've been asked to just pick up trash and monitor sprinklers.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Hard to say what to charge, without seeing firsthand how trashed it gets.

One thing I would definitely clarify, does "trash" include the thousands and thousands of cigarette butts, or just general trash? Just make sure you are both thinking the same thing.
  3. lrunner

lrunner LawnSite Member

I've been there several times, but basically it's just cans and candy wrappers here and there. Nothing serious. Looks like a 45 min. job if that.
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Most of the irrigation controllers have a test mode to run through all the stations-usually 2 minutes per station. A place this size might have 30-40 stations which would be an hour....or more. But it doesn't make sense to have you run it and somebody else do the work. Do they expect you to provide a detail description for each flag concerning what is wrong? If so you are talking about a couple hours of work.
  5. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I would charge $40 per hour. If you think it will take you 45 minutes, a one hour charge would be just right to average it out. The sprinkler system cant have very many zones if the whole complex is only 2 acres. You should be able to run a test in less than an hour, another $ 40 charge.
  6. lrunner

lrunner LawnSite Member

Thanks for all your help guys. Hopfully I get the job. :blob3:
  7. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Picking up trash is a huge nuisance. I would charge $60 min per trip but have the client sign a contract for a stated monthly amount of say $120. Remember that around the holidays (especially) St patricks day if you have a big Irish community, Superbowl Sunday, 4th of july, your volume of trash will at least double.

Does he have a dumpster for disposal or are you hauling?

Are you doing landscape installs there, or landscape maintenance? if this is causing extra trips to the location, you need to be billing for that too.