Weird Request

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Lite4, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Ok, so I got an odd request today that will probably go nowhere, but here it is.

I have a prospect that want some hanging lanterns similar in style and size to the solar ones she purchased (that are no longer working- surprise surprise). She originally wanted me to energize them with LEDs and I told her that would probably cost twice as much as she paid for the lanterns. So, I am on the hunt for some that are in a similar style that will hang on a hook.

Any help will be great if any of you have ever run across anything similar.

Thanks in advance

photo (18).jpg

2. LLC RI

LLC RI LawnSite Member

Is the one in the picture the solar one that she wanted you to convert to LED? Can I ask you... why do you think it's going to cost her so much? If the lanterns are built well enough, then why not just sneak a socket in them and add an LED bi pin, wedge base, or single contact lamp? Run your lead up to the hook and run wire along hanging staff to your 12 volt circuit.

TO buy lanterns like that are going to run a few bucks... and will most likely be line voltage.

George

3. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

Tim, I don't have any ideas for you but I'm curious. How many lanterns are there and where do they hang --- porch, near sidewalk, in landscape beds ?

LEDs --- 12 volt or 120 volt ?

4. Lite4

These things are plastic-cheaply built. I could run a socket in it, however the plastic hooks on top keep breaking off. I could make some metel plates and hooks for it, but being plastic, how long are they really going to last. We are trying to find something a bit more durable if possible.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Lite4

14, they are around patio and along a couple pathways
    Posted via Mobile Device