Weird Story

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Aug 7, 2007.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Tony and I had both been called to bid on adding two zones to an existing system. Turned out that I had referred the guy to Tony 2-3 weeks earlier because the guy said he needed an install. When he called me the second time, 2-3 weeks later, I didn't recognize the name and he said he needed 2 zones added.

So anyway, in talking to Tony on Friday, he mentioned he was going to bid this 2 zone add on in Monument. I asked who, and he gave the guys name. I had just scheduled the guy 2 minutes earlier, and Tony had done the same 2 minutes prior. So Tony bailed out :laugh: because it's not an area he normally goes to, but I had referred him to it so he thought he'd check it out.

Well I looked at it yesterday and told him it would roughly be $1000, two zones of 1804s, about 6-7 heads each. The guy made the noise we all hear when they are shocked at the price. I told him if he's looking for best price, I won't be the guy to do it. Told him how experienced all my guys are, rental of machine, blah, blah, blah. He said he got 2 other bids already. $550 and $750.

$550!!!!! I don't know how anyone can make money at that. No wonder I don't like doing installs.

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Glad he did'nt call us!:dizzy:

3. PROFESSORRAIN

PROFESSORRAIN LawnSite Member

It is unbelieveable that people can do this for that amount,he'll probably go w/ the 550 bid thinking has done something.He gets what he pays for.

4. Mike Leary

The sick part, is one of us will be called back when it fails (out of the box), &
    get to tell him, "rip it out, it can't be fixed!".:cry:

5. PROFESSORRAIN

PROFESSORRAIN LawnSite Member

2nd price would always be higher due to R&R

6. Mike Leary

We call them "surveys". :rolleyes: And charge for them!:D

7. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

So, how many Orbit rotary heads will the $550 guy add? How many, "undocumented", hand trenchers will he be using?

Send the guy your biz card with a note asking when you should go and fix what doesn't work right.

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

he did mention to me that he's not sure what kind of quality he's going to get. But I guess he's willing to risk it for half of what I would have charged. My two guys could have got it installed in half a day or less. Biggest issue is rental yard with a puller is 40 minutes away. And for making 2 pulls that kind of sucks. Two hours of driving to and from, and time at the yard unhooking and paying. I'll gladly over charge him when it doesn't work right. :clapping:

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

So basically $550 for the job, $450 for puller rental. I bet you could get Rotor to trench for you in half the time it would take to pick up and return that puller.

10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

No, rental would be about $80-$100. Maybe $125