weird tree growth

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by rookiemower, May 19, 2005.

1. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

a customer of mine, has what i believe to be emarld beauty arborvitie's in her back yard. there are these pod like growths on them that look like octopuses. the tentacles are an orange color. does any one know what they are? :dizzy:

2. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

It sounds like Cedar Apple Rust to me. Are you sure that it is an arborvitae and not an Eastern Red Cedar? Google it, and see if it is Cedar Apple Rust.

3. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

Also can be on Thuja species. AGLA is right. Mostly cosmetic damage to Arbs.

Prune off if not severe, read the literature.

4. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

thanks guys thats what it was. it was on a juniper. :cool2:

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

What you are seeing when you look at the octipus thinggies is a gall.. caused by cedar-apple rust.
    The galls are refered to as cedar apples,they take two years to complete their growth,then they send out fingerlike slimy orange spore horns,
    then the galls die and the finger things send out spores that infect apple tree's within a mile of the area or more.
    The apple tree leaves will have bright orange spots..Then the spores from that infection in turn infect the juniper twigs and leaves and the beat goes on.and on.
    If you have the time and patients to remove the galls and bag them or burn them go for it.But you will also have to remove any apple tree nearby within wind distance of a mile.
    The only real way is to remove the junipers and replant with a resistant variety instead,and don't plant near apple tree's