Weird Troubles

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by steveparrott, Apr 19, 2010.

1. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

The recent troubleshooting thread was a good brain teaser - also educational.

Would anyone else like to share weird system failure stories and how you solved the problem?

2. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

3. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

See if you can solve this problem. This stumped us for awhile. Double kudos to the first one to name the cause and solution. (This one is good to know, and might change the way you do things.)

A system with about 30 fixtures, 7 home run wires to a 1200W transformer. The system operates normally, however, if one of the common breakers was switched off, the lights on that common did not turn off - they glowed, and measured 5 volts at each of the fixtures. Why?

4. Alan B

Alan B Sponsor

(erased my guess... I'll leave it for others)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  5. RLI Electric

RLI Electric LawnSite Senior Member

Steve, I think you have a short to ground. If you could gfci the secondary side it would have tripped (see earlier posts about that). To isolate that you would go to the goofy run and take a fixture offline. The fact that all of them are doing it on that particular homerun may mean that the short is in the actual homerun itself. That is my guess.

6. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

Bob, it could have been that but it wasn't. No shorts, no malfunctions. The cause really surprised us. Any other takers?

7. RLI Electric

RLI Electric LawnSite Senior Member

Reversed polarity on one of the fixtures?

8. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Voltage crossing from one cable close to another through thin or nicked insulation where they share close quarters in the transformer?

Weak inductive load from the transformer coil passing to the home run cables?

9. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

No winners yet. A clue - the suspect common was shared by two wire runs. Switching one of the runs to another common solved the problem.

10. The Lighting Geek

The Lighting Geek LawnSite Senior Member

the commons were connected to 12v by accident?