Welcome the newbie

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Jim@MilkyWay, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

Hello Jim here and I'm the newbie. I found this forum earlier today on my first attempt to gather intell on a problem with my Kawasaki fc420v. It looks like a very informative site if one can learn how to navigate and search it for a specific item.
    I'll just jump right in by addressing two issues, but first, a little polite etiquette. Thank you in advance for any and all help and suggestions offered.
    Now, item 1) my area of above average understanding and limited experience, is in electrical. I don't have any small-engine shop experience, just good practical common sense and training/experience years back, in component-level TV, radio and alarm system repair and service. 2) My reason for seeking help in the first place is as follows: My 8(?) year old Kubota with a 14 HP Kawasaki fc420v is "loading up" which is the term I believe I have heard used. It starts and runs fine, but when the power is called on, as in cutting grass, it sounds some how like it is laboring. Also, it blows black smoke out the muffler dense enough to see but not startlingly thick, also under load. In fact, the worst smoke occurs as the blades are being slowly engaged.Then, when the ignition is turned off, as the engine dies it backfires, also through the muffler and blows out a puff of black smoke and a lot of soot. It does this almost every time. The plug has recently been replaced and I bought a new air filter for it today so I will try it tomorrow and see if it makes a difference. What I really think it needs is to lean out the mixture. I do not know how to adjust carb. if in fact that is what needs to be done. The spring loaded screw that I would think most likely to control the fuel mix, has a plastic "stop" on it to prevent anything other than very slight adjustment. Does anyone care to offer advise?
    Again, thanks in advance for the help.

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I am sorry I can't advise you on this..Have you put new clean gas in it and changed the oil?..have you put too much oil in it?
    But I can welcome you here to the site.

3. Jim@MilkyWay

WOW Sheshovel! 2700+posts from you (as per the box indicating that you are a "lawnsite silver member". That sounds like a lot.
    Thanks for the reply.

This problem actually started at end off last cutting season, but with winter coming on, I took no action. The gas and oil are fresh enough that it should not be an issue. As a matter of fact, now that I think back, last season I had carb. off to clean bowl and try to check float level etc. Thought maybe trash or water in bowl, or maybe busted float. I even tried bending float tang a _TINY_ amount to drop level of fuel in bowl to see if that helped. It did not. Carb. looked clean when I had it apart and it ran the same when I put it back together as when I started.

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

If this machine has rings and pistons then I say you need new rings

5. Jim@MilkyWay

I'll keep that in mind.

6. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Your better off starting a thread with a different title. "Need help on Kaw FC420V engine problem".
    Restrob on here is the man to find to answer this. Black smoke is too much fuel. I would start with taking the carb off and cleaning it out with gumout and compressed air. Or maybe your choke is sticking closed.

7. Jim@MilkyWay

Thanks
    Good advise. It's late. I'll switch to a new thread and cut/paste some of my original msg. before checking out for the night.